[comp.os.cpm] Kermit

MKATZ%umd2.umd.edu%taurus.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA (Manasseh Katz) (01/05/87)

I finally have Kermit working correctly on an Altos 586 running MPM-86.
It's not perfect, but its almost done and file transfers work fine.
I got it to work  by using the XIOS functions 4 and 5 which correspond
to CPM-86 BIOS functions 6 and 7 - punch output and reader input.  The
MPM-86 manual says that these functions are needed in the XIOS for
compatibility with CPM-86, but that they should do nothing and return (which
is what the normal Altos 586 XIOS does).  I think it would have made
more sense for DRI to have either implemented the punch/reader to be
used by communications programs or trapped the calls in the BDOS since the
BDOS has to translate them (from  6 & 7 to 4 & 5) for direct BIOS  calls
anyway.  I got the program to work by making the punch output go to
the second printer (which is actually printer 1 since they start at 0).
I made reader input do one of two things - return the status of the port
or return  a character from the port, depending on the value of CX as
passed through the BIOS descriptor.  All of these functions set the port
to the second printer port and then call conin, conout, or const to
do the real work, since all the ports are the same on an Altos (the XIOS
already used conout for list output).  In order to get mutual exclusion,
I didn't have to use any fancy queues, just have the program attach
to printer 1 and MPM handles  the rest.
If anyone  is interested in this program, please let me know and
I can send you the machine specific kermit file (most of the kermit
I used is the same for all CPM-86 machines) and the portion of the XIOS
that I wrote.
Now that I have this working, does anyone have any suggestions for a
file transfer program that includes XMODEM ?  The only limitations are
that it be written in ASM86 or Turbo Pascal for CPM-86.  I know there
are a few in the SIG/M library, but I don't know which is the "best"
one to get.
                                    Manasseh Katz
                                    MKATZ@UMD2.ARPA
                                    KATZM@UMDD.BITNET

gonzalez@VAX.BBN.COM (12/12/88)

I assembled a Kermit kit from SIMTEL20, about six weeks ago, for
installation on a Northstar Horizon.  I used the HEX files, rather
than build from the source, since I was using a 1200-baud phone line
and only have two floppy drives.  The files loaded, and the resulting
program executes with only one small problem.  Each character received
by the modem port is results in a capital-D being sent back through the
modem port.  The character appears on the screen as sent, and characters
typed on the keyboard go out the modem port priperly.  I suspect that
the modem port read routine is doing it, but it isn't apparent from the
source.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone successfully
installed Kermit on the Northstar?

				-Jim.
Jim Gonzalez				AT&T: 617-873-2937
BBN Systems and Technologies Corp. 	ARPA: gonzalez@bbn.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts		UUCP: ...seismo!bbn!gonzalez

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (01/15/90)

Does anyone know where I can find the Kermit program for an old IBM? I think
it is running CP/M-86 but I know very little about CP/M and all the
documentation is gone. I have looked at the simtel kermit directory but
I could not find any executables. Thanks in advance...

Kent Boortz, SICS, Sweden

By the way, is there a Tetris clone that I can run on this machine?

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/16/90)

In article <BOORTZ.90Jan15020049@athena.sics.se>, boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can find the Kermit program for an old IBM? I think
> it is running CP/M-86 but I know very little about CP/M and all the
> documentation is gone. I have looked at the simtel kermit directory but
> I could not find any executables. Thanks in advance...

If you have easy access to BITNET, send the message "HELP" to
KERMSRV@CUVMA. This is the on-line repository for KERMIT, and they have
it for everything. For example, yesterday I picked up PDP-8 KERMIT for
my DECmate II. I am absolutely certain that they have CP/M-86 KERMIT,
since I have it for my Rainbow.

> By the way, is there a Tetris clone that I can run on this machine?

I've not seen Tetris for CP/M-86, but there are several DOS flavors.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633