[comp.os.cpm] Z80MU

GREID@FALCON.BERKELEY.EDU (GREID) (09/22/88)

I am trying to run the CPM emulator Z80MU on a Zenith Z-180 Laptop and I am
having trouble determining what is needed in the AUTOEXEC.Z80 file.  The
Z80MU.DOC file isn't much help.  I would appreciate any suggestions concerning
the appropriate contents of this file.  Without it or with an "empty"
AUTOEXEC.Z80 I get a BDOS error.

     Also, does anyone know of a CPM terminal program that does a VT 100
emulation.  Vt 52 is as good as I can find and our VAX has some features that
are only usable with a VT 100.

	Gary Reid
	GREID@WPAFB-AAMRL.ARPA

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/30/88)

In article <8809241213.AA20544@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> GREID@FALCON.BERKELEY.EDU (GREID) writes:
...I am trying to run the CPM emulator Z80MU on a Zenith Z-180 Laptop and I am
...having trouble determining what is needed in the AUTOEXEC.Z80 file.  The
...Z80MU.DOC file isn't much help.  I would appreciate any suggestions concerning
...the appropriate contents of this file.  Without it or with an "empty"
...AUTOEXEC.Z80 I get a BDOS error.

I run Z80MU without an AUTOEXEC.Z80 file.  I believe that I ran it that
way when I had a Z-180.  But, put DIR into it and see what happens.  If
you still get the BDOS error, try another copy of Z80EMU or another Z-180.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) (01/25/90)

I have an old version of Z80MU, a Z80/CPM software emulation for PC-DOS.
I tried to get ahold of Computerwise Consulting in Virginia with no
luck.  Does anyone know what the last version is and if any work is
being done on future versions?  The executable is in the public domain..
is the source, also?

We find the program useful and would like to move it to unix, if we can
get the code.

Steve Croft
*   If what I say is not correct,    *      Steve Croft, Qualimetrics, Inc.  *
*       then it's not what I meant!  *      (ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!qmet!sc)  *

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (02/01/90)

sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:

[... stuff about Z80MU deleted ...]

>We find the program useful and would like to move it to unix, if we can
>get the code.

Z80MU runs under VP/ix under XENIX 386 and I assume UNIX 386.  Very
strange - LU in one window and GNU EMACS in another......

sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/02/90)

In article <766@nixpbe.UUCP>, josef@peun11.uucp (Moellers) writes:
> As far as I know, Z80MU relies heavily on the similarities between
> MESSDOS and CP/M to simplify the whole system.
> You'll probably have to simulate MESSDOS or even CP/M to run Z80MU.

Yeah, I realized this after thinking about it for awhile.  I'm sure
Z80MU passes alotta info to MSDOS directly.  We already run it on our
386i by running it through a DOS process; I was hoping for a method to
get it directly on UNIX to help performance.

Steve
*   If what I say is not correct,    *      Steve Croft, Qualimetrics, Inc.  *
*       then it's not what I meant!  *      (ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!qmet!sc)  *

" Maynard) (02/03/90)

In article <839@qmet.UUCP> sc@qmet.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:
>In article <766@nixpbe.UUCP>, josef@peun11.uucp (Moellers) writes:
>> As far as I know, Z80MU relies heavily on the similarities between
>> MESSDOS and CP/M to simplify the whole system.
>> You'll probably have to simulate MESSDOS or even CP/M to run Z80MU.
>Yeah, I realized this after thinking about it for awhile.  I'm sure
>Z80MU passes alotta info to MSDOS directly.  We already run it on our
>386i by running it through a DOS process; I was hoping for a method to
>get it directly on UNIX to help performance.

The .DOC file for Z80MU310 (the last version, as far as I know) mentions
that they started out by passing calls to DOS directly, but as they went
along, there were subtle incompatibilities between CP/M semantics and
DOS semantics tha they had to program around.

The heart of Z80MU is an assembly-language Z80 simulator that depends on
a unique mapping of Z-80 registers to 80x86 registers. You could
probably port that module to your 386, bu forget it for other
processors...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.