[comp.os.cpm] Prices for used Kaypros and other CP/M computers.

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (02/24/90)

Over the last few months we've had a recent plummet in the prices of used CP/M
Kaypros.  I recently bought a Kaypro 4 '84 with the internal modem in very good
condition for $200 (which is about the price of two new DSDD drives up here).
Is this typical of prices for CP/M boxes all over?  Or is it just around here.
           -CJS    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )
("Oh no!  Who erased /usr/games/fortune?  Now I can't post messages...")

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (02/26/90)

In article <1197@mindlink.UUCP>, a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes...
>Over the last few months we've had a recent plummet in the prices of used CP/M
>Kaypros...

I recently saw a Kaypro II with a daisywheel printer for $150 in the
newspaper. This seems a bit low, however..

sergio@squid.rtech.com (Sergio Aponte) (02/26/90)

In article <4077@hub.UUCP> crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:
>In article <1197@mindlink.UUCP>, a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes...
>>Over the last few months we've had a recent plummet in the prices of used CP/M
>>Kaypros...
>
>I recently saw a Kaypro II with a daisywheel printer for $150 in the
>newspaper. This seems a bit low, however..

	I just bought mine (Kaypro II '84 + modem port) for $40 (!), but then
	I don't think the guy knew what he had. Next weekend he had another
	one (Kaypro II, pre-84, no modem), this time he wanted $60, I turned
	him down. He said he had 3 of them and was trying to sell one at a time
	to get the most of them.

	I thought about buying it (spare parts, re-sale), but did not want to
	give in to the price hike.

	Could it also have to do (pricing) with availability and demand? It
	seems many people don't know what they are and won't run the risk of
	being stuck with an anchor, and the people that know what they are
	are aware that parts and support are getting scarce...

	BTW, I think I need a couple of drives. Will any "single side" flopy
	drive do? (In other words, are this drives PC and Kaypro compatible or
	are they a special kind?).

| Internet: sergio@squid.rtech.com       Sergio L. Aponte, MTS @ Ingres Corp. |
| UUCP: {sun,mtxinu,pyramid,pacbell,hoptoad,amdahl,cpsc6a}!rtech!squid!sergio |

bhh@insight.FIDONET.ORG (Brian Hughes) (02/27/90)

 > From: a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson)
 > Date: 24 Feb 90 05:10:08 GMT

 > Over the last few months we've had a recent plummet in
 > the prices of used CP/M
 > Kaypros.  I recently bought a Kaypro 4 '84 with the
 > internal modem in very good
 > condition for $200 (which is about the price of two
 > new DSDD drives up here).
 > Is this typical of prices for CP/M boxes all over?  Or
 > is it just around here.

  Curt,

  I just arranged to purchase a Molecular 32 (CP/M) with 60 mg HD, tape backup, 4 terminals with enough internal boards for 12 users for $400.00.  I'm also buying, from the same fellow, an Altos with 40 mg HD and tape backup 4 user system for $100.00.  I think CP/M machines have hit rock bottom.  For simple word processing and modeming, they seem to be the best deal in town.

--
FidoNet : 1:129/65.1 Insight BBS  UUCP/SEAdog/Kitten (412) 487-3701
UUCP    : ..pitt!darth!insight!bhh

bobcloud@ficc.uu.net (bob cloud) (02/27/90)

In article <4857@rtech.rtech.com>, sergio@squid.rtech.com
  (Sergio Aponte) writes:

> 	BTW, I think I need a couple of drives. Will any "single side" flopy
> 	drive do? (In other words, are this drives PC and Kaypro compatible or
> 	are they a special kind?).
I have an '83 Kaypro 4 (no graphics or internal modem).  It came (new)
with 2 full height DSDD (TANDON100-2's?) drives.  When drive B died
(became un-alignable) it was replaced with a 1/2 height PC type drive.
The same drive on the Kaypro will format a disk to 390K and on a PC it
will get 354K (360K if K=1000).  I have used a cpm based kit on the
KAYPRO (kit has a DYSAN alignment disk) to align a drive which was then
used in a PC with no problem (yet).  Just set the drive select jumper
correctly or your machine and make sure that the last drive on the
cable is the only one with termination resistors installed.

THANKS for your support.  Bob Cloud  (713)274-5530

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (03/02/90)

About a year ago (maybe less, 9 months or so), I got a Kaypro 10 for
$150. Not a bad deal, I consider. The other day, my friend at work
gave me (free!) two Kaypro IIs! All in all CP/M machines are cheap!

(Ive worked the K10 into a trade deal, tho. I also once got an IMS
TurboDOS machine with a 40meg drive for the price of an internal 2400
modem card, about $75!)

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com
(I know its difficult, dont ask)