[comp.os.cpm] Need info on 5832 and 58321 clock chips

RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (Ralph Becker-Szendy) (03/13/90)

Hi

The subject line says it all: I need some information (pin assignment, register
locations, interfacing) for the MSM 5832 and RTC 58321 clock chips (in view of
putting one of them onto my homebrew Z80 system).

I have one confusing piece of information: I read somewhere that the 58321 is
the pin-compatible successor to the 5832, just with the 32768Hz quartz
built-in. But the 5832 is a 18-pin chip, the 58321 is a 16-pin chip. What is
going on ?

Most important question: Which distributor carries the 5832 (Jameco sells
58321s).

Ralph Becker-Szendy                            RALPH@UHHEPG.PHYS.HAWAII.EDU
University of Hawaii / High Energy Physics Group        RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET
Watanabe Hall #203, 2505 Correa Road, Honolulu, HI 96822      (808)948-7391

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (03/14/90)

In article <C6C814F3BE1F8001B0@uhhepg.bitnet> RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (Ralph Becker-Szendy) writes:
>Hi
>
>The subject line says it all: I need some information (pin assignment, register
>locations, interfacing) for the MSM 5832 and RTC 58321 clock chips (in view of
>putting one of them onto my homebrew Z80 system).

OKI semiconductor makes them (617) 279-0293.

The 5832 has +/- 30 sec adjust, separate addr/data lines, has a funny
VCC/GND pin location, and lives in 18 pins.

	1=VDD	18=hold
	2=WRITE	17=XT*
	3=READ	16=XT
	4=A0	15=+/-30SEC ADJ.
	5=A1	14=TEST
	6=A2	13=GND
	7=A3	12=D3
	8=CS	11=D2
	9=D0	10=D1

The 58321 looks like :

	1=CS2	16=VDD
	2=WR	15=XT
	3=RD	14=XT*
	4=D0	13=CS1
	5=D1	12=TEST
	6=D2	11=STOP
	7=D3	10=BUSY*
	8=GND	 9=ADDR WRITE

Both chips require an external crystal, but have the oscillator guts
onchip. Send me a SASE and I'll give you copies of the data sheet.

Greg Ebert                       ..uunet!tektronix!gvgpsa!gold!grege
Grass Valley Group
400 Providence Mine Rd           grege@gold.gvg.tek.com
Nevada City, CA 95959
(916) 478-4057

syswtr@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (03/15/90)

In article <847@gold.GVG.TEK.COM>, grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) writes:
> In article <C6C814F3BE1F8001B0@uhhepg.bitnet> RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (Ralph Becker-Szendy) writes:
>>Hi
>>
>>The subject line says it all: I need some information (pin assignment, register
>>locations, interfacing) for the MSM 5832 and RTC 58321 clock chips (in view of
>>putting one of them onto my homebrew Z80 system).

 If you are building your own hardware, the 5832 has very slow access
time.  A 4 Mhz Z80 will probably not be relaible when reading/writing the
5832.  A slower processor (i.e. 2.5 Mhz) may work...
  National makes a pair of chips that are faster and simpler to use,
the 8570 and 8571...

Bill Robison
SYSWTR@IOWASP.PHYSICS.UIOWA.EDU

tilmann@cosmo.UUCP (Tilmann Reh) (03/17/90)

Hello Ralph,

you have to distinguish between two 58321's :
- the MSM 58321 from OKI is a functional (not pin2pin) replacement of the 5832,
- the RTC 58321 from Seiko-Epson is a direct replacement for MSM 58321, with
  built-in quartz (let XT terminals open).

By the way, if you are designing a new circuit, think about the RTC 72421,
also from Seiko-Epson. It's a newer design, making the RTC registers available
via direct bus connection using 16 I/O (or Memory) addresses. The access time
is 120 ns, which should be small enough for every micro. Quartz included also.
Or have a look at the new chips of Dallas Semiconductor, i.e. DS 1286 or 1287.
These contain RTC with quartz, 50 bytes of NVRAM and the appropriate Lithium
Source for 10 years operation (guaranteed).
The RTC 72421 is housed in a 16-pin-DIP, the DS 1286 comes in a 28 pin and the
DS1287 in a 24 pin DIP case with some height (cause of the battery).

Look at the new chips instead of using the old ones, of which noone knows how
long they will be manufactured...

greetings from West Germany, Tilmann Reh

disclaimer: I have no connection to the companies mentioned above, instead of
using their chips with great effort.

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (03/18/90)

In article <85.25fe1792@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu> syswtr@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
>In article <847@gold.GVG.TEK.COM>, grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) writes:
> If you are building your own hardware, the 5832 has very slow access
>time.  A 4 Mhz Z80 will probably not be relaible when reading/writing the
>5832.  A slower processor (i.e. 2.5 Mhz) may work...

Isn't this why wait states were invented? If you are designing your own
hardware, or in any properly designed hardware, the speed of the peripheral
chip is unrelated to the reliability of operation, only to the performance.
This is something that has largely been forgotten in the @#$%^ Clone world.
Used to be, on systems where different CPU clock speeds were likely to be
encountered, there would be a jumper on each add in board to set the wait
states for that board, to match it to the processor speed. If this practice
had not been dropped with the Big Blue Box there wouldn't be all the
problems of finding peripherals that work at the new, higher clock speeds.
But that's another story in another news group.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg

RALPH@UHHEPG.BITNET (Ralph Becker-Szendy) (03/20/90)

Hi.  About a week ago I asked about the 5832 and 58321 clock chips.
Thanks to Roger Hanscom, Greg Ebert, Paul Lenz, Bill Robison and Tilmann
Reh,  I now know everything about the two chips.  Funny coincidence: The
day after posting my question, I got the databook from Dallas
Semiconductor in the mail (when I ordered it I didn't even know they
make clock chips).  They have a neat chip (DS1287A), which contains a
real-time-clock, quartz, 50 bytes of non-volatilie RAM, lithium battery,
and the circuitry to keep everything happy.  It nicely kills two birds
with one chip, and I'll just try it out (as soon as it arrives in the
mail).

Again, thanks to all who responded to my question.

By the way ... if am not affiliated with Dallas.  I haven't even got
their chip yet, just ordered it.

Ralph Becker-Szendy                       UHHEPB=24730::RALPH (HEPNet,SPAN)

bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) (03/21/90)

In article <558@fnx.UUCP> del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) writes:
}> If you are building your own hardware, the 5832 has very slow access
}>time.  A 4 Mhz Z80 will probably not be relaible when reading/writing the
}>5832.  A slower processor (i.e. 2.5 Mhz) may work...
}Isn't this why wait states were invented? [...]

Yes, but the 5832 is S-l-o-w with a capital S. (My Alspa system uses one for
its clock/calendar.) If you wanty to do something else, like service a keyboard
interrupt, during that time you're out of luck. Better bet is to hang the thing
off a parallel port.

--
Bill Swan      bill@Summation.WA.COM          Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years (or more):