[comp.os.cpm] The Ultraboard

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (03/24/90)

Has anyone heard of (or better yet, used) a product called "The Ultraboard?"
It is a replacement motherboard for the Kaypro (I'm not sure which one) that
has the Hitachi 16-bit Z80 replacement (running at 12 or 16 MHz, I think) and
more memory, among other things.  I'd be interested in getting ahold of one of
these, new or used, if that's possible.  Thanks.
        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

sergio@squid.rtech.com (Sergio Aponte) (03/26/90)

In article <1358@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>Has anyone heard of (or better yet, used) a product called "The Ultraboard?"
>It is a replacement motherboard for the Kaypro (I'm not sure which one) that
>has the Hitachi 16-bit Z80 replacement (running at 12 or 16 MHz, I think) and
>more memory, among other things.  I'd be interested in getting ahold of one of
>these, new or used, if that's possible.  Thanks.
>        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

	Please post or copy me on the e-mail.

					Thanks.
| Internet: sergio@squid.rtech.com       Sergio L. Aponte, MTS @ Ingres Corp. |
| UUCP: {sun,mtxinu,pyramid,pacbell,hoptoad,amdahl,cpsc6a}!rtech!squid!sergio |

bobcloud@ficc.uu.net (bob cloud) (03/27/90)

In article <1358@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>Has anyone heard of (or better yet, used) a product called "The Ultraboard?"
>It is a replacement motherboard for the Kaypro (I'm not sure which one) that
>has the Hitachi 16-bit Z80 replacement (running at 12 or 16 MHz, I think) and
>more memory, among other things.  I'd be interested in getting ahold of one of
>these, new or used, if that's possible.  Thanks.
>        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

	Please post or copy me on the e-mail.

Bob Cloud  ---  WTYFYS (We Thank You For Your Support).
Ferranti International Controls Corporation
12808 W. Airport Blvd.  Sugar Land, TX 77478
UUCP: uunet!ficc!bobcloud     ph: (713) 274-5530

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (03/29/90)

In article <1358@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>Has anyone heard of (or better yet, used) a product called "The Ultraboard?"
>It is a replacement motherboard for the Kaypro (I'm not sure which one) that
>has the Hitachi 16-bit Z80 replacement (running at 12 or 16 MHz, I think) and
>more memory, among other things.  I'd be interested in getting ahold of one of
>these, new or used, if that's possible.  Thanks.
>        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

The UltraBoard was a replacement motherboard for the Kaypro's with a
12 MHz Z-280 and 1 Meg of ram.  It was expected to achieve 6 MHz PC AT
speeds.  It had color video for an external monitor.  It was to make
use of the hard disk controller from Advanced Engineering Concepts.

I believe that the name of the company responsible for the UltraBoard
was Hitech Research.  They were the ones who bought up a lot of Kaypro's
stock of Kaypro 10 parts and started assembling them as Kaypro 20's
with Seagate ST-225 drives.

Before that, they had a product called Handyman, which was a plug-in
board that gave you SideKick-like features without using and of the
Kaypro's onbaord ram.  It had its own ram, and its software was in rom.

The UltraBoard was is beta-test about three or four years ago, but
after bugs were found in the video section, HiTech ran out of money
trying to fix the problem.  The last I heard, they were working on a
SCSI interface for '84 Kaypros.

I did talk to someone there over two years ago.  He said that they
would continue development when they could.  I should dig out their
number and give them a call (if they still exist).
--
			Jeffrey J. Wieland
		      wieland@ecn.purdue.edu