[comp.os.cpm] CP/M SOFTWARE-PHIL

ken@CSUFRES.CSUFRESNO.EDU (dot) (04/08/90)

Subject: Re: CP/M sofware for packet radio and TCP/IP
Newsgroups: comp.os.cpm

From article <21863@bellcore.bellcore.com>, by karn@jupiter..bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn):
> In article <1798@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> tech@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Richard Loken) writes:
>>This question has been asked, and I wasn't interested at the time.
>>
>>Is there any software around?  I know that there is a version of tcp/ip some
>>where and I understand Phil Karn wrote his eary stuff on CP/M.  Does somebody
>>have the early Karn package?  Assuming it exists of course.
>>
>>I sort of hope there isn't any, then I will have to write some.  Build an
>>interface and shoot for 56k :)
>
> Yes, my code did indeed begin life on CP/M, specifically the Xerox 820.
> But this was five years ago, and much has happened in the meantime to PC
> clone pricing and availability to make me wonder why anybody would still
> be interested in CP/M. With XT clone boards having bottomed out at $60
> or so, and with a well-established and highly competitive supplier network
> supporting PC technology, why bother with Z-80s and CP/M? I just don't see
> the point.
>
> Phil

There are a whole lot of CP/M users out in the world who don't want to
go to different systems.  I for one am very happy with my machine and
all the software that goes with it.  I would like to see new software
developed but I know in this "throwaway" society that isn't going to
happen.  The cost of "new" systems isn't the point.  When something
works as well as CP/M does, why just toss it away?

                                       Dorothy (Dot)

                   |        Dorothy (Dot)        |
                   |  ken@csufres.csufresno.edu  |