[comp.os.cpm] CPM on the C128

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (05/26/90)

I have started trying to do something useful with the CP/M third of my C128.
There appears to be almost enough of a CP/M system to be useful.  One thing
I am missing is LOAD. HELP refers to it as HEXCOM.  But, neither are on the
system or utility disk.

My questions are:
1) For $20 comodore offers a CP/M manual and two utility disks.  Does this
   contain the basic utilties I need to get up and running?

2) Is there a better source for basic utilities?  (I found several utilities
   on a mail server, but I need to move at least UUDECODE across as a hex
   file.)
--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)

bjskelly@PacBell.COM (Bruce J. Skelly) (05/29/90)

In article <9136@pogo.WV.TEK.COM>, rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) writes:
> My questions are:
> 1) For $20 Commodore offers a CP/M manual and two utility disks.  Does this
>    contain the basic utilities I need to get up and running?
I got my $20 package from CBM quite a few years ago.  Included was a single
manual that consisted of three or four Digital Research CP/M 3.0 manuals.
Nothing in the manuals was C128 specific.  On the disks were all the utilities
mentioned in the Digital Research documentation, including the HEXCOM that you
mention as well as MAC, RMAC, LIB, LINK, XREF, SID, the source code to the
BIOS, standard (Z80) and specific (8502) macro libraries for the assemblers.
When DR went from 2.X -> 3.0 some of the utilities were replaced with "new
and improved versions", Including LOAD(HEXCOM) and DDT(SID).  The disks totaled
3 - C128, 1541 compatible single sided disks (one of the disks was a flippy).
Bottom line, I felt I got my moneys worth.  Your mileage may vary.

Bruce