[comp.os.cpm] CP/M text editors

99626176@UWPLATT.EDU (Doctor WHO) (06/10/90)

I was just wondering what your favorite text editors for CP/M were (perferrably
public domain).  I am very new to CP/M (I have it on a C128) and there is so
much public domain software out there.  I have VDE 2.61 (or close to that
version, can't remember off hand), VDO and TVX.  Which do you suggest (or
suggest one of your own) and why.  I would especially appreciate responses from
other C128 owners.  Thanks.

Cory Hug

ianj@sactoh0.UUCP (Ian R. Justman) (06/11/90)

In article <80EE21132EDF205FAE@uwplatt.edu>, 99626176@UWPLATT.EDU (Doctor WHO) writes:
> I was just wondering what your favorite text editors for CP/M were (perferrably
> public domain).

<< Bits left out >>

> I have VDE 2.61 (or close to that
> version, can't remember off hand), VDO and TVX.  Which do you suggest (or
> suggest one of your own) and why.

My favorite editor is ZDE 1.3.  I like it because it interfaces
well with ZCPR3.x.  But it will (or at least should) work fine
under vanilla CP/M.  I also like it because it's a quick editor
because everything is RAM-resident, but that will limit the length
of your edit file to something like 40K, but there are special chop
utilities that will allow you to break a large file down into
smaller chunks.  But I also find it easy to use.  As for programs
that edit larger files, I haven't had any luck yet finding a file
that will fit that bill nicely.  But VDE and ZDE are good starters
until you can find a more suitable editor.  Have fun, and happy
hunting!
--
Home:   Ian Justman   |UUCP: ...!uunet!mmsac or        |"One of the few
6612 Whitsett Drive   | ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac or   |die-hard CP/M

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (06/11/90)

In article <3251@sactoh0.UUCP> ianj@sactoh0.UUCP (Ian R. Justman) writes:
>As for programs
>that edit larger files, I haven't had any luck yet finding a file
>that will fit that bill nicely.

I like Vedit+ for this and other reasons.  I've edited files 200K
in length, and while it could get sluggish during reads/writes to
floppies, it worked very nicely.  It's also very configurable, and
has a TECO-like macro language (some may not consider this to be
a feature).
--
Melinda Shore                             shore@mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                          ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (06/12/90)

writes:
+---------------
| I was just wondering what your favorite text editors for CP/M were
| (perferrably public domain).
+---------------
I've used VEDIT from CompuView for about 10 years.  They are mostly
concentrating on their MS-DOS version now, but still sell the CP/M one
(at least they did about a year ago).  It allows multiple files to be
edited at one time, multiple windows on screen, files can be any size
that will fit on your disk, works with almost any terminal, etc.  It
also has an incredibly powerful command language (very much like TECO).
It is not free, but considering the fact that the most time you spend
at your computer is in the editor (unless you are playing games), and
that I believe good tools are important, it seems worth the price to
me.

Note: as usual, no link between CompuView and me.  Just a satisfied
customer (with a little pride that the editor I picked so long ago
when Ted Green was still working in his basement turned out so well).
	-crl

Cory Hug

--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad@anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020

DHAESE%phs.uia.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (06/12/90)

I like the text editor of Borland's Turbo Pascal v2 for CP/M, which
can only be used within Turbo Pascal. Under Turbo Pascal V3 and higher
it does exist as a separately editor, for the PC anyway, but does it
also exist for plain CP/M ? Furthermore, I believe it is
called the "microstar editor", but I am not sure of it.
I wonder ...

Gratien D'haese
e-mail: dhaese@phs.uia.ac.be
        dhaese@banuia51

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (06/13/90)

In article <80EE21132EDF205FAE@uwplatt.edu>, 99626176@UWPLATT.EDU (Doctor WHO) writes:
> I was just wondering what your favorite text editors for CP/M were (perferrably
> public domain).  I am very new to CP/M (I have it on a C128) and there is so
> much public domain software out there.  I have VDE 2.61 (or close to that
> version, can't remember off hand), VDO and TVX.  Which do you suggest (or
> suggest one of your own) and why.  I would especially appreciate responses from
> other C128 owners.  Thanks.

I know you said 'preferrably public domain' but I had to install my $.02
American in here. It's old and it's been upgraded a LOT since 1983 but I
am using WordStar 3.3 on my Molecular Mod. 9. I've used it for
everything from letter writing to writing code for the basic compiler to
chew on and have found it easy to get along with and awful hard to
break. Add to that that it's installable for a wide selection of
printers and terminals and it fills the need nicely. If you ever find a
set of disks for it with the manuals at a reasonable price, I think it
would be worth the $$$ to buy it. BTW, I haven't run into any problems
with files to large for it either.

Here's hoping I don't start a WP war here (my WP is better than YOUR
WP!) :-)

           *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:-: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. 17104 :-]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
: uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave -or-:   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :
:   compnect!dave@uunet.UU.NET   :...........................................]
[........use what works..........]

dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Dave) (06/14/90)

Manx software makes a wonderful wordstar-like split screen text editor.
It is not pd, but it is fairly cheap.  Look for advertised with their
C compiler (also a good product.)

Dave Strout
dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
root@next1.acs.muohio.edu

gary@cdthq (gary) (06/15/90)

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) writes:
> [ Dave recommends WordStar 3.3 ]
> [ ... ] BTW, I haven't run into any problems
> with files to large for it either.

I understand that it is limited to 512K. This from a friend who
had to edit a 1.5MB database, of which 1MB vanished upon exiting
WS. Apparently, the convention for handling files over 512K
involved a different section of the directory entry, and WS
didn't (and probably still doesn't) know about it.

I used to use Vedit; it was supposed to handle a file half the
size of the drive (had to create the temp file....).

Gary Heston, at home....

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (06/16/90)

I still use TED, the TECO clone that I wrote for the Z80.  But then,
I'm biased.  :-)

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (06/16/90)

I hate wordstar 3.3 (which I use all the time and am using now).
I use vi at work but would switch to micro-emacs if it has
macros.  Does it?  Can I write complicated macros in it?

I know about vedit and don't like it that much.

-Mitch