[comp.os.cpm] Apple can't keep up with 2400 baud

rat@deety.UUCP (David Douthitt) (06/27/90)

I'm running an Apple II+, 4 MHz Zip Chip, 6 MHz PCPI Applicard with
ZCPR 3.0 (CP/M) - the serial board is the Apple Super Serial board.

The switches all seem to be set appropriately.

However, I don't think interrupts will help here.  The patch for
the CP/M programs I use for the modem talks to the 6522 port
directly, using memory peeks and pokes from the CP/M side.

Seems to me that there was some sort of Super Serial card support
built into the BIOS of the PCPI CP/M.  Does anyone know more about this?

If that doesn't help, perhaps I should write a driver for the SSC which
supports interrupts and get my characters from that.  Anyone know how to
write PCPI drivers?  I thought not.  :-(

--
====== David Douthitt ======== aka "The Stainless Steel Rat" ====
UUCP: uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (06/28/90)

In article <XX000000a8@deety.UUCP>, rat@deety.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:

> If that doesn't help, perhaps I should write a driver for the SSC which
> supports interrupts and get my characters from that.  Anyone know how to
> write PCPI drivers?  I thought not.  :-(
>
> --
 Oh, I was going to post a copy of the one that I wrote/use but I guess
it's just a figment of my imagination.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (07/02/90)

In article <PNAKADA.90Jun22182513@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:
>I think the problem is that the display is disabling interrupts during
>the scroll, which can cause loss of characters via the serial port.
>It's not so much the speed of the CPU or the card, but more of the
>interrupt handling.  This is all conjecture, but it is my impression
>that a 4 mhz Apple ][ should have no problem keeping up with 2400 cps.

	Just curious about the difference between Apple II and //c...
	My //c had no problem to catch up with 2400 cps at 1 MHz, and when
	I pumped up my //c to 8 MHz, it even keep up with HST dual 9600 baud
	without TSR and DSR connected. ( and my //c is actually communicating
	at 19200 baud with the modem!) To the guy who posted the original
	article, did you set your ZipChip to catch the slot where the
	80 column card is located?

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (07/03/90)

>	To the guy who posted the original
>	article, did you set your ZipChip to catch the slot where the
>	80 column card is located?

Sigh.  I thought I'd made myself clear.

I'm running my Apple II+ with PCPI CP/M.  Ascii Express can keep up with
2400 baud just fine (as an example).  However, QTerm, running under
ZCPR 3.0 (CP/M 2.2 enhancement) CANNOT.

Someone said they had a driver which let them keep up ... I'll see how
that turns out.

As for my Zip Chip, right now, my system boots off the Sider into a
DOS partition and I don't have any alternate settings.  The lousy
stinkin' "setup" (HAR!) is actually a BASIC program that BRUNs some
binary file.  All of the Zip Chip utilities (the really GOOD ones)
use the 128K apple 80-cols.

So the Zip uses factory defaults every time.

To sum it up - ProDOS keeps up at 2400, CP/M does not, the rest
doesn't matter.

	][]david

--
! InterNet: deety!rat@spool.cs.wisc.edu           !  David Douthitt
! UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin