[comp.os.cpm] "Re: UZI for Z80"

eichin@APOLLO.COM (07/02/90)

>slayden@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (James B. Slayden) writes:
>> the same? The Z88 runs off the Z80 processor with their own OS called OZ.
>
>I believe the Z88 uses an Intel 8088 cpu, rather than the Zilog Z80.
>The ZX-80 was a Z80 machine, though.
>
>Gary Heston, at home....

Gary, don't spread such vile rumours :-) James Slayden was correct, the Z88
has a Z80. (I have one right here in my backpack...) Clocked at around
3.5Mhz, as I recall. OZ is actually an "operating system", rather than a
control program, though I have a few ideas on how to write a bdos/bios
emulator for it to convert those calls to the equivalent OZ functions. (If
you'd be interested in such a thing, let me know.)

OZ is multitasking, handles memory banking and management, has a hierarchical
file system, named device drivers, as well as floating point and long integer
functions. There is a complete reference manual (several hundred pages.) I've
never tried UZI, but it could probably be made to work in a Z88 with lots of
memory (they have 1Meg cards now, and you can use two or maybe three of them
at once [and still run on 4 AA batteries :-)])

						_Mark_

eichin@APOLLO.COM (07/05/90)

   Date: 3 Jul 90 17:56:06 GMT
   From: dev!dgis!tswenson@uunet.uu.net  (Timothy Swenson)
   >> the same? The Z88 runs off the Z80 processor with their own OS called OZ.
   >I believe the Z88 uses an Intel 8088 cpu, rather than the Zilog Z80.
   >The ZX-80 was a Z80 machine, though.
   >Gary Heston, at home....
   Bzzzzzzztt, Sorry, no stove, no cigar.  The Z88 uses a Z80.
   Sir Clive wanted the QL to have a Z80, but his engineers
   wanted the sporty 68008.  With the Z88, he went back to the
   reliable Z80.
   The original poster was right in that respect.  But the OS is not
   called OZ, it is called PipeDream.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Tim Swenson
   Newsletter Editor,
   Capital Area Timex/Sinclair User Group

To respond in kind: "Bzzzzzzztt, Sorry, no stove, no cigar"... :-)
PipeDream is the editor (a cross between WordStar and VisiCalc... I'm not
kidding, ^PB for boldface, a number of other similarities...) OZ is the
operating system and task manager. {Authority: I have the Z88 and the
developers manual, and have written some assembly code on the beast.}
				_Mark_
				<eichin@athena.mit.edu> <eichin@apollo.com>