[comp.os.cpm] Wordstar to Ascii.

cczdvh@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Valentine-Hagart) (06/29/90)

I am new to Wordstar 3.3 and just wondered if there was anything in Wordstar
itself to save files as plain ascii text without the control codes.

               ........Thanx      David V-H........
                eMail....cczdvh@uk.ac.nott.ccc.vme....

was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) (06/30/90)

cczdvh@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Valentine-Hagart):

> I am new to Wordstar 3.3 and just wondered if there was anything in
> Wordstar itself to save files as plain ascii text without the control
> codes.

        Use the print (P) option from the main menu.  One of the
        choices is "Print to file?".  Answer yes to this option and
        Wordstar will send a formatted version of the text to the
        indicated file.  Keep in mind that any printer codes
        associated with text enhancements (bold, underline, etc.)
        will be included in the text written to the disk file.

ns@iddth.UUCP (ns) (07/03/90)

In <8190002@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) writes:

>cczdvh@clan.nott.ac.uk (David Valentine-Hagart):

>> I am new to Wordstar 3.3 and just wondered if there was anything in
>> Wordstar itself to save files as plain ascii text without the control
>> codes.

>        Use the print (P) option from the main menu.  One of the
>        choices is "Print to file?".  Answer yes to this option and
>        Wordstar will send a formatted version of the text to the
>        indicated file.  Keep in mind that any printer codes
>        associated with text enhancements (bold, underline, etc.)
>        will be included in the text written to the disk file.

I have used this method and I stumbled on a little problem: many
characters have bit 7 set to 1. It causes some troubles when converting
files to other formats or when printing them out on some types of
printers. I currently copy files to MS-DOS and Commodore 128 formats.
The solution: copy the file resulting from WordStar's "P" command with
the PIP utility, using the "z" option - it zeroes bit 7. The command
line should look like:

	PIP newfile=oldfile[Z]

PIP can be run from WordStar by using the "R" command.

Happy hacking,

--

was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) (07/04/90)

ns@iddth.UUCP (ns):

> I have ... stumbled on a little problem: many characters [in WS disk
> formatted output] have bit 7 set to 1.
> The solution:  copy the file resulting from WordStar's "P" command with
> the PIP utility, using the "z" option - it zeroes bit 7.  The command
> line should look like:
>	PIP newfile=oldfile[Z]

	Silly me.  I assumed that everyone who uses WS has a copy of
	the WS survival kit utilities.  My favorite is WSDOCON.COM,
	which converts clear text (no bits 7 set) to *AND* from WS
	format.

	This and many other excellent utilities are in the venerable
	WORDSTAR.LBR collection, available on many BBSs, including
	Royal Oak and SIMTEL20.

snoopy@zelator.UUCP (Mathias Niemz) (07/06/90)

I have some freeware programs called 'unsoft' and 'ensoft' to translate
Wordstar-files <--> ASCII. They work fine i.e. to translate a downloaded
text from news or other unix files to change them via Wordstar for
printing or translating a Wordstar text for documentation on disks.
--
Snailmail: Mathias Niemz, Preussenallee 23, D-1000 Berlin 19, W-Germany
Phone (Voice !) Q  +49 30 305 50 60  X25: (0262)44 3000 90345 (no uucp yet)