[net.music] The Velvet Underground and Nico

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/04/85)

> REPLACE THIS LINE WITH A BANANA

>      There is at least one other album on which she appears.  She sings on
> about half the songs on the first VELVET UNDERGROUND album.  The album title
> is (I think) "The Velvet Underground and Nico", and the cover is white with
> a nice bannana done by Andy Warhol.  I believe that Andy actually founded the
> group, in any event the album is from some stage "experience" he created.
> The band's name comes from the bar where they originally played. Lou Reed
> was a member, as was John Cale.  Nico did not sing on any of the band's
> later albums (there are three more).
>

>                                     A. Silberman
>                                     silber%uiuc@csnet-relay
>                                     silber@a.cs.uiuc.edu
   Warhol didn't found the group, but he did "discover" them and assist them in
getting recorded.  The name of the band comes from the title of a book about
sado-masochism.  There are actually more than three VU albums, if you count
live albums and the recently released "VU"--made from discovered tapes for
what the band's fans called "The Great Lost Velvet Underground Album."  All
information is from the liner notes on VU--which is an excellent album, by
the way.

   --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
   --  ...udenva!showard
   "Stepanie says that she wants to know
    Why she's given half her life
    To people she hates now."

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (10/17/85)

In article <877@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:
>...  There are actually more than three VU albums, if you count
>live albums and the recently released "VU"--made from discovered tapes for
>what the band's fans called "The Great Lost Velvet Underground Album."  All
>information is from the liner notes on VU--which is an excellent album, by
>the way.

There are more than three even if you don't count the live albums or VU. Though
I think "VU" is terrific, MGM/Verve did a really obnoxious thing in trying
to imply that "Loaded" wasn't a significant album (the last VU studio album,
it was with Another Record Company). The liner notes say that by the time
Loaded was released, Lou Reed had left the band. They don't say that Lou
Reed gave the best vocal performance of his career on Loaded, and left
the band after recording and mixing was complete. "Loaded" was also the most
commercially successful Velvets album (though not wildly successful).

Anyone who likes "VU" should run, not walk, and buy "Loaded". It's not up to
the company to sell records for others, but to actually deceive people
(like they apparently have done to showard@udenva) is immoral.
--
Joe Buck				|  Entropic Processing, Inc.
UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck  |  10011 N. Foothill Blvd.