[comp.os.cpm] what disk for an 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drive

UCSLCT@UWPLATT.EDU (LANCE TAGLIAPIETRA) (07/22/90)

Hello all,

Well, the subject about says it all.  I would like to know where I can get
disks which will work in my 96tpi 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drives which
Montezuma Micro CP/M will format to 820K.  I just bought a box of Kodak MD"-HD
disks which are rated at 96tpi, but they do not format, every track fails
the verify pass.  These disks are made for high density drives (1.2Meg).

In the past, I have found Radio Shack 80tk 5.25" disks to work well, and also
some brands of 48tpi disks.  What is different about the high density disks
that they will not work properly on my drives?

Any assistance is appreciated,

Lance Tagliapietra   ucslct@uwplatt.edu or ucslct@uwplatt.bitnet

gary@cdthq (gary) (07/23/90)

UCSLCT@UWPLATT.EDU (LANCE TAGLIAPIETRA) writes:
> Well, the subject about says it all.  I would like to know where I can get
> disks which will work in my 96tpi 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drives which
> Montezuma Micro CP/M will format to 820K.  I just bought a box of Kodak MD"-H
> disks which are rated at 96tpi, but they do not format, every track fails
> the verify pass.  These disks are made for high density drives (1.2Meg).

Swap the 1.2M discs with someone using an AT clone. They have a different
oxide coating from regular discs, which is why you had a formatting
problem.

The easiest thing to do is buy DSDD 360K discs. There is no difference
between these and "certified" 80tk floppies other than the certification.
For that matter, all the single and double side single and double
density discs are cut from the same sheet of media, including 48tpi
and 96tpi. I've never had any problems using DSDD floppies for 80tk
drives, and in fact have always bought the cheapest name-brand disc
I could find. (The absolute cheapest is probably not a good idea, I
at least want some idea of the manufacturers' background.)

The manufacturers punch a pile of "biscuits", as the media is called,
and start certifying at the highest level the media is capable of until
they fill their orders for this batch. Then, they step down to the
next lower level until it's filled, and so on. At worst, I think you'll
find 1 disc in 20 that won't format correctly, which is bunches cheaper
than Radio Shack 80tk discs.

Gary Heston, at home....

thorick@ataraxy.sybase.com (Thorick Chow) (07/25/90)

In article <5FDA2283DFBFE01D36@uwplatt.edu> UCSLCT@UWPLATT.EDU (LANCE TAGLIAPIETRA) writes:
>Hello all,
>
>Well, the subject about says it all.  I would like to know where I can get
>disks which will work in my 96tpi 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drives which
>Montezuma Micro CP/M will format to 820K.  I just bought a box of Kodak MD"-HD
>disks which are rated at 96tpi, but they do not format, every track fails
>the verify pass.  These disks are made for high density drives (1.2Meg).

I have a Morrow Micro-decision with a 96tpi DSDD drive.  The Non-HD 96tpi
diskettes are out there.  I've seen them in some well stocked office
supply stores.  In the past I've gotten Memorex 96tpi DSDD diskettes mailorder.
I've also gotten Dysan 96tpi DSDD diskettes special order from friendly
computer stores (stay away from Whole Earth).

-thorick

All of the above is from Thorick Chow - DoD #129, and not Sybase, Inc..
Toys:			      Interests:	Currently Curious About:
Yamaha FJ1100, XS650	      Tai Chi Chuan     The meaning of the movie
Kawasaki KZ440, Campy-Frejus  Physics (Theory)  title: "Spetters".
Ruger P-85, MKII

EUDOH%sctnve@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (08/01/90)

> > INFO-CPM Digest V90 #123
> > What disk for an 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drive
> >Well, the subject about says it all.  I would like to know where I can get
> >disks which will work in my 96tpi 80tk ds dd Tandon TM101-4 drives which
> >Montezuma Micro CP/M will format to 820K.  I just bought a box of Kodak MD"-H
> >disks which are rated at 96tpi, but they do not format, every track fails
> >the verify pass.  These disks are made for high density drives (1.2Meg).
> >
> >In the past, I have found Radio Shack 80tk 5.25" disks to work well, and also
> >some brands of 48tpi disks.  What is different about the high density disks
> >that they will not work properly on my drives?
>
> Lance Tagliapietra   ucslct@uwplatt.edu or ucslct@uwplatt.bitnet

HI,

   I started using the 80tk 5.25" drives about 4 or 5 years ago, when a friend
  of mine and I bought a pair, just tto see if they would work...
  We first used them with Newdos/80, Dosplus, and then finally Montezuma Micro..

  We used regular 48tpi disks, and the drives never really complained...
  Generic ones are probably the best...not to put anyone down...
  Note:  if you get bad tracks after formatting with MM CP/M, you can lock out
        the bad tracks with the "findbad" program....and you normally just get
        a handful of bad tracks.

    the only way you can really go wrong with the drive is trying to write a
  another format with it, such as a 40 trk format, you can read them fine, but
  it is not recommended to write to them also...  You overlay every other track
  in a sense in other to be able to write the lesser format and it probably
  won't do it correctly after a time, or who knows what else could happen....
    Already lost one drive because of that....it's like it just slowly went out
    of alignment....

 later dude...
 A 2...
( -->> Eudoh@sctnve.bitnet <<--   Cyber Lab Consultant      )
(                                  Computer Operations      )
(     //!\\       \\\\\\\\   Southern College of Technology )
(              Sometimes you just gotta say "what the f*ck" )