[comp.os.cpm] Kaypro 4 and 2400 Baud

NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (08/14/90)

  I have a Kaypro 4, 1983 model and a 2400 Baud modem.  My problem is, at
2400 baud, it tends to drop characters.
Thus:

Enter username>

becomes

Etsernme>

Is this a problem of software or hardware? How do I solve this problem?
I have this difficulty with MODEM7+, YAMKAP, and CP4KPR.

It is silly to have to use 1200 baud when I can go much faster.

zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) (08/14/90)

>   I have a Kaypro 4, 1983 model and a 2400 Baud modem.  My problem is, at
> 2400 baud, it tends to drop characters.
I also have an '83 series Kaypro 4.  It seems to cope just fine with
terminal emulation using MEX at up to 4800 baud, if my memory serves
me right.  Now that I think about it, though, that may be because I doubled
the clock speed using the Micro Cornucopia hardware mod some years ago,
so it runs at 5 Mhz.  Many old Kaypros have had this or a similar mod done,
but if yours hasn't that could be one solution to the problem.  You could
also try getting an interrupt-driven terminal emulator.  There is at least
one on SIMTEL20, in the PD1:<CPM.KAYPRO> (might be wrong about it being PD1,
could be PD2?) directory.  Micro Cornucopia used to sell one on one of their
disks, but since they seem to have gone out of business, I guess that is no
longer a viable source.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

m1tca00@macs2.FRB.GOV (Thomas C. Allard) (08/16/90)

In article <90225.204141NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu>,
NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:

|>  I have a Kaypro 4, 1983 model and a 2400 Baud modem.  My problem is, at
|>2400 baud, it tends to drop characters.
|>Thus:
|>
|>Enter username>
|>
|>becomes
|>
|>Etsernme>
|>
|>Is this a problem of software or hardware? How do I solve this problem?
|>I have this difficulty with MODEM7+, YAMKAP, and CP4KPR.
|>
|>It is silly to have to use 1200 baud when I can go much faster.

Make sure that your 25th status line is off.  When it is on the machine
has to redraw the screen when scrolling and doesn't have time to keep
up.  I think the sequence is ESC-C-7.

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (08/16/90)

In article <90225.204141NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu>, NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:

>   I have a Kaypro 4, 1983 model and a 2400 Baud modem.  My problem is, at
> 2400 baud, it tends to drop characters.
> Thus:
>
> Enter username>
>
> becomes
>
> Etsernme>

I am well aware of how this makes you feel. . .

> Is this a problem of software or hardware?

It's a hardware problem.

> How do I solve this problem?

Get in touch with the people at Microcornucopia Magazine in Bend, OR.
They offered a complete range of new monitor ROMs that use advanced video
command sequences.  This would allow the Z80 to do less video housekeeping
(ie. more character buffering) and you'll get to keep your current setup.

> I have this difficulty with MODEM7+, YAMKAP, and CP4KPR.

I have it with ZMP, Kermit, and MDM730 (basically everything serial!)

> It is silly to have to use 1200 baud when I can go much faster.

Tell me about it!  I hear the '84 series (mine) with graphics is even slower
hence my knowledge about this.  I can't even go 1200 with my Hayes without
nulls on the BBS I'm calling!  Unfortunately, nowadays, nobody needs nulls
(but me!!!)  My MOD involved a new ROM (PRO-MAX884 = $79.00 US) and a 2MHz
68B45 chip from Motorola.  No worries at all.  Works beautifully!  Even gives
me current time & date on the 25th line (status line) CONSTANTLY!  VT52
Terminal emulation (H89, etc.) and Screen dump, & much more. (ZCPR in ROM)

If you want an address or a few more references to articles in uC, let me know
by email.
 Good luck  . . . . Ronn

NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (08/16/90)

Thanks for the info.   I am still running at 2.5MHz, does anyone know
If I can get a clock speed upgrade to 5 or 8 MHz? and If so, from where
and how much It will cost me?
Monty: You're SURE you finished?   | BITNET:NETOPRDW AT NCSUVM
Gadget: Sure I'm sure.             | internet:netoprdw@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu
Monty: Not like the Last time?     |_____________________________________
Gadget: Oh, Monty, How many times can the wings fall off a plane?

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (08/17/90)

In article <90227.211956NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu>, NETOPRDW@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:
> Thanks for the info.   I am still running at 2.5MHz, does anyone know
> If I can get a clock speed upgrade to 5 or 8 MHz? and If so, from where
> and how much It will cost me?
> Monty: You're SURE you finished?   | BITNET:NETOPRDW AT NCSUVM
> Gadget: Sure I'm sure.             | internet:netoprdw@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu
> Monty: Not like the Last time?     |_____________________________________
> Gadget: Oh, Monty, How many times can the wings fall off a plane?

You may find all the info you need in a few old issues of MicroCornucopia.
Give them a ring at 503-382-5060 Someone may answer still (if you're lucky)
and then you can order the right issues.  Alternatively, you could send
something to POB 223; Bend, Oregon  97709.  I know uC is out of business, but
you may still get in touch (Dave Thompson is a great guy)  Also, you could
contact Microsphere in Bend too.  Dave's bro runs it & is still in business.
503-388-1194   (Beware, these numbers are from a 1985 issue so don't get mad
if they aren't correct)

Of course if all this fails, send me your address and I'll send you some copies
of the pertinent articles.  They had Ram disks and video mods too so check
it out!  See you.

Ronn