[comp.os.cpm] CP/M internals?

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (08/30/90)

Could someone explain to me how a typical CP/M (8085) system is working?
What parts are there, and where are they (ROM/RAM/disk)?
What functions do they have? How do they call each other?
How is the memory organised? Maybe you can explain the boot process?

What parts of the CP/M OS can I replace with freeware/shareware alternatives?

Why do I ask this? I am trying to write a hardware emulator for 8085 in MC68020
assembler (just for fun) and is curious if it is possible, with not to much
work, to port a CP/M system to it. The ideal case would be a OS that used
the OUT and IN instructions for all communication with the hardware, except
the screen that could be memory mapped.

Kent Boortz
boortz@sics.se

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug29.222738.4302@sics.se>, boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) writes:

> Could someone explain to me how a typical CP/M (8085) system is working?
>
> Kent Boortz
> boortz@sics.se

Check out some old Zsystem code.  Or look to TCJ magazine for some articles.
Some of Jay Sage's stuff is on SIMTEL.  Good luck on finding 8085 CP/M code.
You may need to stick to 8080 stuff.

There is an old book named "CP/M programmers' reference" by QUE.  It is the
most extensive ref. on the Official CP/M's & related stuff. (Not by DRI that
is!)
Ronn

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/04/90)

In article <15337.26dea1fe@levels.sait.edu.au>, etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> There is an old book named "CP/M programmers' reference" by QUE.  It is the
> most extensive ref. on the Official CP/M's & related stuff. (Not by DRI that
> is!)
> Ronn

IMHO that is. BTW it is actually called "CP/M programmers' ENCYCLOPEDIA"
Sorry 'bout that.  It does have alot of stuff on utilities & languages too.
Very recommended. (Especially if it's in a clearance sale!)

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (09/05/90)

In <15344.26e3b303@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>IMHO that is. BTW it is actually called "CP/M programmers' ENCYCLOPEDIA"
>Sorry 'bout that.  It does have alot of stuff on utilities & languages too.
>Very recommended. (Especially if it's in a clearance sale!)

You would not, by any chance, have an ISBN?

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/11/90)

In article <josef.652515823@peun11>, josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:
> In <15344.26e3b303@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>
>>IMHO that is. BTW it is actually called "CP/M programmers' ENCYCLOPEDIA"
>>Sorry 'bout that.  It does have alot of stuff on utilities & languages too.
>>Very recommended. (Especially if it's in a clearance sale!)
>
> You would not, by any chance, have an ISBN?

Yes, I would.  Sorry about the multiple iterations.

ISBN 0-88022-043-0
LC 83-62489  (Library of Congress#)
by Bruce Brigham

It's not too heavy into CP/M itself, just tells the BIOS calls, etc for both
versions and How to use most standard utilities & languages.

There is another copy here in Adelaide at the same place I got mine, in case
you can't find it & want it.  Of course I could just send you the three or four
pages on the Calls.  If you're really serious about system work, you should get
the DRI manuals.   They're only about 20$ now I think.   I could go verify a
source for that If you like. . . .

As I recall, someplace is selling them still. . .

Ronn