[comp.os.cpm] AMSTRAD PCW

rgssxr@abcom.ATT.COM (2249 Scott Russell ) (09/04/90)

I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
used as a word processor. It is a CP/M based system but uses the strangest
little 3" diskette cartridges (NOT 3 1/2"!).

If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS format disks?

Also, the word processor that it uses is called Locascript. It is great for me!
Do you know if it comes in a MS-DOS version?

I really would like to know if anyone is still using this machine.
I hate to get rid of it.

Scott Russell - AT&T Private Network Support

"All comments the product of a warped mind and do not reflect the opinions of
 management.  Then again, perhaps it does..."

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) (09/06/90)

In article <2145@abcom.ATT.COM>, rgssxr@abcom.ATT.COM (2249 Scott Russell ) writes:
> I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
> If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy
> disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS
> format disks?

I'm afraid that the only way to exchange data with a DOS machine is
through the serial port. You need to by an expansion from Amstrad wich
sells the propper software and cable too.

> Also, the word processor that it uses is called Locascript.It is great for me!
> Do you know if it comes in a MS-DOS version?

If I remember well, this *good* WP comes from a software house called
locomotive, somewere in UK. They have written a BASIC too.

> I really would like to know if anyone is still using this machine.
> I hate to get rid of it.

My sister does. She feels it's a good baby.

luke.
-
--
  _ _           __             Via Aleardo Aleardi, 12 - 20154 Milano (Italy)
______________________________ Software & Services for Advertising & Marketing

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/08/90)

In article <2145@abcom.ATT.COM>, rgssxr@abcom.ATT.COM (2249 Scott Russell ) writes:
> I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
> used as a word processor. It is a CP/M based system but uses the strangest
> little 3" diskette cartridges (NOT 3 1/2"!).
>
> If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS format disks?

Yes, there are 3 companies offering conversion kits now.  See a recent issue of
PCW world for info on these.  An article on that was in one not too long ago,
but they probably advretise as well.  I can get the exact issue if you like.

> Also, the word processor that it uses is called Locascript. It is great for me!
> Do you know if it comes in a MS-DOS version?

Same issue of said mag had an article on that as well.  As I recall, there is
an MS-dos version it said.

> I really would like to know if anyone is still using this machine.

A friend of mine here has one and my previous girlfriend did too. . .
Jay Sage said he has one.

> I hate to get rid of it.

what?  a loyal computerist? :-)

> Scott Russell - AT&T Private Network Support
>
> "All comments the product of a warped mind and do not reflect the opinions of
>  management.  Then again, perhaps it does..."

Ronn

howard@lysator.liu.se (MindWalker) (09/10/90)

luke@modus.sublink.ORG (Luciano Mannucci) writes:

>In article <2145@abcom.ATT.COM>, rgssxr@abcom.ATT.COM (2249 Scott Russell ) writes:
>> I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
>> If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy
>> disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS
>> format disks?

>I'm afraid that the only way to exchange data with a DOS machine is
>through the serial port. You need to by an expansion from Amstrad wich
>sells the propper software and cable too.

*BEEEEP*  "Wrong guess. Do you want to go for double jeopardy where the stakes
can really change ??"

Seriously, it _IS_ possible to exchange files with an IBM without having
to resort to the serial cable/RS232C mess and it doesn't even require a
typist and an IBM !!!

A couple of years ago, my father bought an add on 5.25" drive from a company
called Peartree computers in England. I don't know if they still exist.
However, this beast enabled you to read/write 80 track 720kB CP/M 3.3 disks
and 40 track (320kB ??) IBM disks, the latter using special conversion
software that came with the machine.

So start checking London's Yellow Pages and good luck !!

/MHd
--
Programming isn't a science,         | EMAIL: howard@lage.lysator.liu.se
it's an art.                         |        howard@lysator.liu.se

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) (09/12/90)

>> I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
>> If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy
>> disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS
>> format disks?

There are one or two, but they only work on 360K 5.25" IBM discs.

ravn@imada.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) (09/12/90)

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

>>> I have an Amstrad PCW82whatever which a bought several years ago mostly to be
>>> If anyone has one of these, do you know how I could adapt a 5 1/4" floppy
>>> disk to this machine? Is there a conversion routine to input/output DOS
>>> format disks?

>There are one or two, but they only work on 360K 5.25" IBM discs.

Does anyone have these in a high level language??  An adaption to
3.5" drives may be made?