[comp.os.cpm] MAXRom and TEAC FD55 drive 1.2M??

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/17/90)

Help:

I bought a uC MAXRom for my 84 Kaypro.  Now I am trying to connect a Quad
density drive to it for 750K storage capability.  Will a standard 1.2M
AT type floppy drive work.  Probably not.  Alternatively, Can I strap my
TEAC 1.2 FD55 to act like a Quad density drive?  What are the differences
between 1.2M and 720K quad drives.  Spindle speed only?  Same # of tracks?
I'm getting bogged down without proper specs for these things.
Thanks for any info...
Ronn

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (09/25/90)

In article <15428.26f4f146@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>Help:
>
>I bought a uC MAXRom for my 84 Kaypro.  Now I am trying to connect a Quad
>density drive to it for 750K storage capability.  Will a standard 1.2M
>AT type floppy drive work.  Probably not.  Alternatively, Can I strap my
>TEAC 1.2 FD55 to act like a Quad density drive?  What are the differences
>between 1.2M and 720K quad drives.  Spindle speed only?  Same # of tracks?
>I'm getting bogged down without proper specs for these things.
>Thanks for any info...
>Ronn

   Well, in theory you could use a 1.2 meg drive as a 750k drive, but it would
be a waste of money to do so.

   the ibm 1.2 meg drives have the equivalent of 8 inch drive electronics,
at least a subset.

   a nifty thing you could do if you wanted to use the 3.5 inch drives,
a 3.5 inch 720k ibm drive is electrically the same as a dsqd 96tpi 5.25
inch drive.

   problems with going the 1.2 meg drive route....   the tracks these drives
write are substantially narrower than even the dsqd drive tracks, to say
nothing of the dsdd tracks.   also, the write current is also greater.

   these drives can write an ibm 360k format, but the chances of another
type of drive reading it is about 50/50.

   if you already have a 1.2 meg drive, see if you can trade it either for
a real dsqd drive, or for a 720k 3.5 inch drive.

,
--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - one of these days i'll get it right...

Version 2 of anything is usually the version that works.

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep24.235858.13077@techbook.com>, fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:

>    Well, in theory you could use a 1.2 meg drive as a 750k drive, but it would
> be a waste of money to do so.

Not if you happen to have a bunch of 1.2 meg drives hanging about... :-)

>    problems with going the 1.2 meg drive route....   the tracks these drives
> write are substantially narrower than even the dsqd drive tracks, to say
> nothing of the dsdd tracks.   also, the write current is also greater.

Not true. 80 tracks is 80 tracks, right? They get the extra capacity by
running at 500 KHz data rate instead of 250 KHz used by dsqd.

The only real problem with using a 1.2 MB drive is that they tend to use
pin 34 as Diskette Changed rather than Drive Ready. This confuses most
CP/M machines. This might be jumperable depending on the drive. The
alternative is to just ground it so the drive always looks ready.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

wilker@math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (09/28/90)

I agree with Roger Ivie. I use the 1.2 meg on an AT to read and write
floppies to
my QD CP/M disks, and it works.

Clarence Wilkerson

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep24.235858.13077@techbook.com>, fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
> In article <15428.26f4f146@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>>Help:
>>
>>I bought a uC MAXRom for my 84 Kaypro.  Now I am trying to connect a Quad

>    if you already have a 1.2 meg drive, see if you can trade it either for
> a real dsqd drive, or for a 720k 3.5 inch drive.

I did, and am very happy with the two FD55 quads I now have; they were only 50$
each so I got two for the price of one!  Also, they are very, very quiet!!
Thx for the reply. . .
 BTW I did get the info on the 1.2M drives, yes they can run at 300Hz and 360Hz
spindle speed and yes all those user straps do something. So if anybody wants
to know exactly what can be set on one of these,  get in touch!

Ronn

Sprague.WBST311@XEROX.COM (10/04/90)

Ronn,

I am replying this way, since your address is too long for my mail tool.
Sorry to the rest of you, whome I'm sure are not interested in this message

> BTW I did get the info on the 1.2M drives, yes they can run at 300Hz and
360Hz
> spindle speed and yes all those user straps do something. So if anybody
wants
> to know exactly what can be set on one of these,  get in touch!

Whoa hey, looks like you might have some information I am looking for.  I
am trying to hook up two 1.2M high density drives to a Xerox 820-II, and
make them look like 8" disks.  I am very interested in knowing about those
jumpers!!!!

				~ Mike
				(Sprague.Wbst311@Xerox.com)

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (10/05/90)

In article <36369@cc.usu.edu> SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
>In article <1990Sep24.235858.13077@techbook.com>, fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>>
>>    Well, in theory you could use a 1.2 meg drive as a 750k drive, but it would
>> be a waste of money to do so.
>
>Not if you happen to have a bunch of 1.2 meg drives hanging about... :-)
    do you have a couple 1.2 meg drives sitting about??   i'd be glad to
trade you a dsqd drive (brand new tandon tm101-4, still in shipping carton)
for one, since i really need another one.

>>    problems with going the 1.2 meg drive route....   the tracks these drives
>> write are substantially narrower than even the dsqd drive tracks, to say
>> nothing of the dsdd tracks.   also, the write current is also greater.
>
>Not true. 80 tracks is 80 tracks, right? They get the extra capacity by
>running at 500 KHz data rate instead of 250 KHz used by dsqd.
  nope.  they do write a narrower track.

  remember, these drives use a higher write current than the dsqd drives,
and need media with a higher coercivity.  (magnetic hardness)  the data
would run into ajacent tracks if the tracks were the same width as the
dsqd drives.   the number of tracks and the spacing of the tracks is
the same as the dsqd drives.

   what is getting to be a popular alternative use for these drives is to
use them on systems that used double density 8 inch drives.  the drive
electronics are virtually the same as that found on the 8 inch counterparts.
of course, you need to build a cable adapter.

--

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (10/09/90)

In article <c0uLq1w163w@ijpc.UUCP>, ** Sender Unknown ** writes:
> Sprague.WBST311@XEROX.COM writes:
>
> << extraneous stuff deleted >>
>
>> Whoa hey, looks like you might have some information I am looking for.  I
>> am trying to hook up two 1.2M high density drives to a Xerox 820-II, and
>> make them look like 8" disks.  I am very interested in knowing about those
>> jumpers!!!!
>
> Me too!  I would like to replace my 8's on my Dynabyte box.
> Better yet, put high density 3 1/2" if they behave the same as HD
> 5 1/4" drives.

Peoples, leave me yer addresses if you want this info.  Send them via Email
or otherwise if you have not that service.  Okee dokee?  See ya

Ronn

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (10/10/90)

In view of the obviously broad interest, please post it to the net!  Thanks.
                                        - don

UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (10/10/90)

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> Peoples, leave me yer addresses if you want this info.  Send them via Email
> or otherwise if you have not that service.  Okee dokee?  See ya

Is my "from" line showing this time?  I messed with my
configuration file for Waffle and it must have messed up my
header.  It should be kosher this time.

Sprague.WBST311@XEROX.COM (10/10/90)

> Peoples, leave me yer addresses if you want this info.

Chuckle, yeah!  That makes sense.  :-)  Like I said before, Ronn's address
is to long for my mail tool.  Sorry to the rest of you.

Mike Sprague
1613 Waterford Rd.
Walworth, NY  14568

				~ Mike
				  (Sprague.Wbst311@Xerox.Com)

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct10.050507.452@simasd.uucp>, donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:
> In view of the obviously broad interest, please post it to the net!  Thanks.
>                                         - don
>
> UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
> ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
> INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

The problem is it is Hard Copy!  It's got alot of timing diagrams and related
graphics material.  Fine print as well, so I'll just give a quick strapping
review here now:

	TEAC FD-55GFR

		default strapping:  D1, DC, FG

		Adjustable:	D0-D3,  Addressing
				U0-U1,	LED indicator control
					(Use with IU; In Use signal)
				ML   	Spindle motor On/Off control
				      	(Off state: MOTOR ON * disk
					 On State : [MOTOR ON + LED] * disk)
				IU	Will expect IN USE signal on pin 4
					of 34 pin interface if jumpered.
				RY/DC	Selects function of pin 34 signal from
					drive: either READY or DISK CHANGE
		Operation mode straps:
				LG	On state is pin 2 LOW = High density
					Off state is pin2 LOW = Normal density
					(Pin 2 signal is HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY)
				E2	Selects output condition of INDEX and
					READ DATA pulses. (Complex waveforms)
				I & IS	I On state: dual speed mode 300/360 RPM
						(Controlled by pin 2)
					I & IS both Off state:  360 RPM always
					I & IS both On: Dual speed with
						maintenance of READY signal
						during High/Normal change.

Sorry I skipped over U strapping a bit as well as E2, but you get the idea I
hope!  This would have gotten me going when I had a 55GFR. . .

Happy strapping!!! 8-)

Ronn