[comp.os.cpm] Help with Kaypro 1 / Qume Sprint 5 / etc

pvpullen@CRDEC7.APGEA.ARMY.MIL ("Paul V. Pullen") (10/23/90)

Sorry about having to send this to the board, but I have struck out trying to
get this to Gil Citro.  Husc6 and husc9 returned it to me.

To: husc9!citro@husc6
Cc: pvpullen@CRDEC2.APGEA.ARMY.MIL
Subject:  Kaypro1 and Qume Sprint 5

Hope this helps;

Qume hookup to Kaypro1 should require a direct cable with the following pins:

		1<-------------------------------------->1
		2<-------------------------------------->2
	 	3<-------------------------------------->3
		4<-------------------------------------->4
		5<-------------------------------------->5
		6<-------------------------------------->6
		7<-------------------------------------->7
		8<-------------------------------------->8
	       20<-------------------------------------->20

(note: pin 8 is questionable, but I have always used it in my connection from
my Intertec Compustar VPU-30's to the Qume Sprint 5 printers).

The switches under the front cover of the Qume is probably where the problem
lies.  The setup for the twin bank switches (that exist under the full front
panel model of the Qume Sprint 5) are as follows:

|                                                                          |
|                                                                          |
|                                                                          |
/                                                                          |

\                                                                          /

|                                              Aswitch    Bswitch          \
|                                              +--------+ +--------+       |
|                                              |87654321| |87654321|       |
|                                              +--------+ +--------+       |
Front of printer			To back of printer ^
					To front of printer v
A Switches                         B Switches

8&7 are set parity                 8 & 7 Handshake

		8	7          	dtr&etx/ack	v	v
	odd  	v	v          	xon/xoff	v	^
	even	v	^
	mark	^	v          6 Auto lf/cr
	space	^	^
                                   	auto cr/lf on	^
6 Modem/no modem                   	auto cr/lf off	v

	No Modem	^          5 Auto LF
	Modem		v
                                   	auto lf on	^
5 Half/Full Duplex                 	auto lf off	v

	Half		^          4 Stop print on paper out
	Full		v
                                   	stop on		^
4 Self Test                        	stop off 	v

	on		^          B3-B1 twintellect/ memory expansion
	off		v               are installed

3 2 & 1 Baud Rate                  3 Twintellect

	110	v	v	v  	on		^
	150	v	v	^  	off		v
	300	v	^ 	v
	600	v	^	^  2 Not Used
       1200	^	v	v
       2400	^	v	^
       4800	^	^	v
       9600	^	^	^  1 Automatic Bidirectional printing

                                   	on		^
                                   	off		v

The setup on my qume (with the intertec) is as follows:

	A Bank			B bank

	^ ^  ^ 			 ^     ^
	87654321		87654321
	 v vv vv		v vvvvv

As you can see, I am using mark for parity, no modem, full duplex, st-off,
and 1200 bits per second on the A bank.  B bank gives me xon/xoff handshake,
and auto bi-direction on (if my printer has twintellect installed in it.)

You will have to play with the serial port settings for your Kaypro1.  A
The manual on the system will tell you how to set the output ports to use
the serial printer port instead of the parallel printer port.  I believe
the local setup is something like stat slp:=tty: if I remember correct.
(I may be wrong, so don't quote me.)  Once the Kaypro is using the serial
printer port, and the cable is correct, it "should be" easy.  If necessary,
I can bring my K1 to work and try it.  After that, a  serial cable with the
above listed leads should give you print on the printer.

Transfer of files from the Kaypro1 disk to IBM is very easily accomplished
using the 22Disk program that is share ware and available from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL public domain archives.  It stored under the MSDOS
archives, and is a fully operational system.  The writers ask you to register
your copy with them by paying a $25.00 registration fee, which gets you a
copy without the advertising that is in the download version.  It does work
very well, and is worth the support.

If I can be of assistance in the future, let me know.

----------------------------------
Paul Pullen
United States Army Chemical Research, Development and Engineering Center
pvpullen@crdec2.apgea.army.mil
(301) 671-2519 /(301) 671-4174
----------------------------------

techie@public.BTR.COM (Bob Vaughan techie@btr.com) (10/24/90)

The correct command line to configure the kaypro for serial printer
is STAT lst: = tty:
to reconfigure for a parallel printer it would be
STAT lst: = lpt:

You can also make it automatic on startup by using  CONFIG (if you have it)
BEWARE of changing  con: using CONFIG. test it first using STAT.
CONFIG saves the changes to the current boot disk.

at least on my kaypro 10, I can set con: = tty: and use a teletype or
a crt for a remote terminal.

you can use STAT dev: to show what is currently set for I/O.

Bob Vaughan - techie@well.sf.ca.us - {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!techie
            - techie@btr.com       - {fernwood,decwrl,mips}!btr!techie
1-415-856-8025 (My Robot)
Welcome My Son, Welcome To The Machine
I am me, I am only me, and no one else is me. What could be simpler?