[comp.os.cpm] Reply to Kermitting to Vax

EUDOH%sctnve@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (10/25/90)

> Date: 16 Oct 90 01:19:32 GMT
> From: munnari.oz.au!bruce!monu1!vaxc!phs404g@uunet.uu.net  (G.Anders)
> Subject: Kermitting to Vax
>
>   HI,
>       Does anyone know how I could Kermit (or otherwise transfer)
>    files created on a cp/m machine to a vax??
>       The kermit program I have doesn't seem to handle it.
>
>                  ---Thanks,  Greg.

  I remember the first time I was introduced to kermit, about 5 years ago
and I haven't been able to live without it since....
Well, 1. the parity on both ends have to match....
      2.  the receive and send packet lengths have to match....
      3.  you can sometimes get away with having different file
          types set on both ends but most of the time they have
         to match...
      4.  finally, depending on how fast the vax responses, you may
         have to set a delay time, otherwise your micro-kermit will
         not catch the first initialization packet that the vax
         sends out and it will just sit there.....
        (on unix you usually do a <sleep :duration:> command, but on
        vax you should be able to set that parameter....

    that's the basic troubleshooting routine there....hope that helps..
( -->> Eudoh@sctnve.bitnet <<--   Cyber Lab Consultant      )
(                                  Computer Operations      )
(     //!\\       \\\\\\\\   Southern College of Technology )
(              Sometimes you just gotta say "what the f*ck" )