[comp.os.cpm] CP/M- and MSDOS-compatible file-crunching?

andmp@np1a.bristol.ac.uk (D M Pickles) (11/01/90)

Does anyone know of a Crunching/Squeezing/Zipping-type method of
compressing ascii files, that would work under CP/M as well as either
MSDOS or UNIX?  If so, is the relevant software available in the
public domain?  The reason for my inquiry is that I have an occasional
need for transferring textfiles created on my Amstrad CP/M machine at
home, on 3-inch (*not* 3.5-inch!)  diskettes, to an IBM-PC machine at
work.  I achieve this via modem+kermit to the University mainframe, at
300 baud, which which takes forever and costs lots.  (I subsequently
download from the mainframe to a PC, at 9600 baud, which is fast and
free, so that step is trivial).  Any way of reducing the file size for
the modem transfer would obviously be very beneficial!  My only other
options are to buy expensive auxillary hardware and transport disks to
and from work, or to take up weight-training and carry one of the
computers instead...

Any help would be much appreciated.

David Pickles                                       andmp@uk.ac.bristol.np1a

pittman@mwk.uucp (V. Darrell Pittman, M.W. Kellogg, KT26, 713-753-4410) (11/02/90)

In article <4488.9010311817@np1a.bristol.ac.uk>, andmp@np1a.bristol.ac.uk (D M Pickles) writes:
> Does anyone know of a Crunching/Squeezing/Zipping-type method of
> compressing ascii files, that would work under CP/M as well as either
> MSDOS or UNIX?  If so, is the relevant software available in the
> public domain?

I don't know about Unix, but you could use the ARK utility for CP/M, which
is compatible with MS-DOS's ARC.

Hope this helps...     Darrell

V. Darrell Pittman	The M. W. Kellogg Co.	   Internet:	pittman@mwk.uucp
Sr. Systems Programmer	601 Jefferson Ave, KT26    CompuServe:	72277,3146
			Houston, TX 77002	   Phone:	(713) 753-4410
						   Fax:		(713) 753-5353

The opinions expressed herein are my own, not necessarily those of my employer
or any other third party.

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (11/03/90)

In article <4488.9010311817@np1a.bristol.ac.uk> andmp@np1a.bristol.ac.uk (D M Pickles) writes:
>Does anyone know of a Crunching/Squeezing/Zipping-type method of
>compressing ascii files, that would work under CP/M as well as either
>MSDOS or UNIX?  If so, is the relevant software available in the
>public domain?  The reason for my inquiry is that I have an occasional
>need for transferring textfiles created on my Amstrad CP/M machine at
>home, on 3-inch (*not* 3.5-inch!)  diskettes, to an IBM-PC machine at
>work.  I achieve this via modem+kermit to the University mainframe, at
>300 baud, which which takes forever and costs lots.  (I subsequently
>download from the mainframe to a PC, at 9600 baud, which is fast and
>free, so that step is trivial).  Any way of reducing the file size for
>the modem transfer would obviously be very beneficial!  My only other
>options are to buy expensive auxillary hardware and transport disks to
>and from work, or to take up weight-training and carry one of the
>computers instead...

   there is a version of arc for both machines, that will build and
dismember archives.   the cp/m version is kinda slow, but at least
it does work.

   if you don't need to batch files together, there is a verison of
crunch/uncrunch for msdos, but it's kinda hard to find.

   hope that helps...

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!