[comp.os.cpm] READ/WRITE MSDOS DISKS ON OTRONA

farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris) (11/08/90)

Does anyone know of a CPM program that will permit my Otrona
Attache to read and/or write MSDOS diskettes?  Was a version of
Uniform ever produced for the Otrona?

Can the Otrona be modified to use an 80-track floppy drive?

Where can I buy the ever-failing 5027 CRT controllers?

Is it feasible to add ram for a ram drive?

Thanks,

Russ Farris         (farris@marlin.nosc.mil)   (619) 553-4129
Code 444
Naval Ocean Systems Center
271 Catalina Blvd                "As for Gunnar I cannot speak,
San Diego, Calif 92152-5000         but his halberd is home!"
                                                    Njal's Saga

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (11/08/90)

Somewhere in my archives, I have a Turbo Pascal rewrite of a program to
read MSDOS diskettes on a CP/M system that has a bios that will recognize
the physical format used ( 512 byte sectors, etc). I believe I posted it
once to the CP/M section of GENIE .
Clarence Wilkerson
wilker@math.purdue.edu

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (11/09/90)

farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris) writes:
>Does anyone know of a CPM program that will permit my Otrona
>Attache to read and/or write MSDOS diskettes?  Was a version of
>Uniform ever produced for the Otrona?

No, UniForm was never produced for the Attache'; however, Mycroft Labs, Inc.
P.O. Box 4106, Tallahassee FL 32315, (904) 385-1141, produced a program
called COMPAT which performed the same functions.  As I recall, it only
supported the 8 sector DOS disks, but a call to Mycroft should tell you
whether that is true and if it is still available.

>Can the Otrona be modified to use an 80-track floppy drive?

Yes, some of them were built that way; in fact, the BIOS source listing
referred to it also.

>Where can I buy the ever-failing 5027 CRT controllers?

I bought one from JDR in San Jose.

>Is it feasible to add ram for a ram drive?

Probably, but I can't help you on that one.

>Thanks,

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (11/09/90)

In article <1654@marlin.NOSC.MIL> farris@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Russell H. Farris) writes:
>Does anyone know of a CPM program that will permit my Otrona
>Attache to read and/or write MSDOS diskettes?  Was a version of
>Uniform ever produced for the Otrona?

There's a program called READ-PC.PAS, written in Turbo Pascal, at SIMTEL-20
in the directory PD2:<CPM.DSKUTL>READ-PC.LBR.  It was originally written
for the H-89 but it uses standard BIOS calls so it won't take much to get
it going on any system that uses IBM-style MFM floppies.

I've made a few changes to the version at SIMTEL-20 to make it a little
more portable and to fix a few bugs.  The source will be available for
anonymous ftp at ccu.umanitoba.ca as file pub/cpm/read-pc.pas for the next
couple of weeks.

>>> Dan
--