[comp.os.cpm] CPM Viri

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) (11/06/90)

Would it surprise the net if I said that CPM Plus is not immune to
viruses?

The main thing in its favour/susceptibility is its control over
error messages.

I see some questions forming...

Yes, I have written one -- it's about 3/4 K in length, and it's not leaving
my write-protected floppy.
--
If life is just a bowl of cherries, you'd better watch out for the stones.
    Paul Martin. pm111@tharr.uucp INTERNET: pm111%tharr.uucp@ukc.ac.uk

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (11/07/90)

In article <1392@tharr.UUCP> pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
>Would it surprise the net if I said that CPM Plus is not immune to
>viruses?

  cp/m 2.2 is an easy target for viruses as well, but the virus craze came
after the retirement of 2.2 in favor of msdos, so you don't see many
viruses around.

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!

callisto@blake.u.washington.edu (Finn) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.112631.9252@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>In article <1392@tharr.UUCP> pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
>>Would it surprise the net if I said that CPM Plus is not immune to
>after the retirement of 2.2 in favor of msdos, so you don't see many
>viruses around.

I understand that cp/m virus was invented and that was quite lethal,
but it didn't go very far.  Probably had something to do with the

pittman@mwk.uucp (V. Darrell Pittman, M.W. Kellogg, KT26, 713-753-4410) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.112631.9252@techbook.com>, fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:

> cp/m 2.2 is an easy target for viruses as well, but the virus craze came
> after the retirement of 2.2 in favor of msdos, so you don't see many
> viruses around.

Shhhh!  They're listening!  ;-)

V. Darrell Pittman	The M. W. Kellogg Co.	   Email:	pittman@mwk.uucp
Sr. Systems Programmer	601 Jefferson Ave, KT26    CompuServe:	72277,3146
			Houston, TX 77002	   Phone:	(713) 753-4410
						   Fax:		(713) 753-5353

The opinions expressed herein are my own, not necessarily those of my employer
or any other third party (and who would blame them?)

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/09/90)

In article <1392@tharr.UUCP>, pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
> Would it surprise the net if I said that CPM Plus is not immune to
> viruses?

I always knew that CP/M was not immune, but I really see no way to make
a virus general enough to infect *every* CP/M system. For example, the
boot drive on my DECmate is drive E:, not A:, and most of CP/M is stored
in a file. So you couldn't infect my system by just scribbling all over
track 0 of drive A:.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov8.111627.42046@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <1392@tharr.UUCP>, pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:
>> Would it surprise the net if I said that CPM Plus is not immune to
>> viruses?
>
>I always knew that CP/M was not immune, but I really see no way to make
>a virus general enough to infect *every* CP/M system. For example, the
>boot drive on my DECmate is drive E:, not A:, and most of CP/M is stored
>in a file. So you couldn't infect my system by just scribbling all over
>track 0 of drive A:.
>--

    ture, but there are other nasties you can do, like allocating
disk space to hidden files, tagging on a few extra blocks to .COM
files, and even twiddling stuff in the directory so text files will
be scrambled in chunks of 128 bytes.

   but whatever you do, don't try this at home...