[comp.os.cpm] Does Zilog have a *** 20MHz *** Z80?

scott@solids.phy.bnl.gov (david scott coburn) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.174451.28750@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>what i really want is a 12 to 16 mhz z80 code compatible processor.
>does anyone know if such a beast exists??

I have a ZILOG Literature Guide from an Electronic Engineering Times
Special Issue "Microprocessor Design Guide".  I recieved it in the
mail last week.  One of the available pieces of literature from Zilog
is "Z84C00 20MHz Z80 CPU", part number DC-2523-01.  I was a bit surprized
to see it...  I was planning to write to them to get a copy, it says
here that it is free.  The address given is:

		Zilog
		210 Hacienda Ave. M/S C1-0
		Cambell, CA  95008-6609
		They also give a phone number (408)370-8016.

Now let's see... 20Mhz cpu, a couple of 128k x 8 fast static rams...

scott coburn                                brookhaven national laboratory
scottc@solids.phy.bnl.gov [130.199.128.73]                  upton, ny, usa
 .....q.. ...q.... ......q. q....... .......q .q...... ....q... ..q......

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (11/10/90)

In article <2288@bnlux0.bnl.gov> scott@solids.phy.bnl.gov (david scott coburn) writes:
>In article <1990Nov1.174451.28750@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>>what i really want is a 12 to 16 mhz z80 code compatible processor.
>>does anyone know if such a beast exists??

I have a Xenix system I take care of that uses a Z280 at 20MHz to
handle up to 32 serial ports.  Isn't the Z280 upward compatible.

It's supposed to do upto 57kbaud on 32 ports but I don't have
anything that talks that fast ;-]

bill

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (11/12/90)

In <1315@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>In article <2288@bnlux0.bnl.gov> scott@solids.phy.bnl.gov (david scott coburn) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov1.174451.28750@techbook.com> fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) writes:
>>>what i really want is a 12 to 16 mhz z80 code compatible processor.
>>>does anyone know if such a beast exists??

The Zilog Z180 is available to 10MHz, Maybe a 12MHz 64180 can be had from
Hitachi (?). I've seen the info booklet on 20MHz Z80 from Zilog. It looks
like a nice piece of work. Don't know anything about delivery times yet, but
it ought to be available by now.

>I have a Xenix system I take care of that uses a Z280 at 20MHz to
>handle up to 32 serial ports.  Isn't the Z280 upward compatible.

The crystal oscillator is run at 20MHz but this is divided by two to give
10MHz to the actual works. In preliminary product specs a 16MHz version was
mentioned, which would be clockable at 32MHz. In later literature only the
10 MHz version remains. Actual execution is faster on a Z280 than a standard
Z80 at similar speeds because of pipelining and caching. There is also an
option to use a 16-bit data bus. The Z280 in system mode can be (very almost)
100% code compatible with the Z80. Any code that relies on the R register
being incremented every opcode fetch will not work, because all 8 bits of
what is stored there with LD R,A remains unchanged until the next LD R,A or
system reset. There is a whole wealth of new instructions and addressing modes,
some of which are more useful than others.
The Z80-bus (8-bit) hardware interface is slightly less than actually
compatible. The main difference is that M1L signal is output only during
IM0 interrupt acknowledge or RETI instruction fetch. (no other fetches).
The refresh rate can be programmed but there will not be a refresh at the
end of each opcode fetch, as with the Z80. Also the lower 8 bits of the
address bus need to be demultiplexed from the data bus. Single-stepping and
other hardware traps are supported. A third interrupt mode provides more
flexibility.
Most of the time these differences won't actually matter, and should even make
design easier.

Adam David.         adamd@rhi.hi.is