[comp.os.cpm] Advent

csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) (11/09/90)

In article <23829@ecn.purdue.edu> wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) writes:

> Advent Products should still have upgrade products for Kaypros.
> [...]
>                           ...  Advent's number is 714-630-8172.

As the owner of a coupla old Kaypro II's, I was quite excited when I read this.
But, alas, the phone company recordings tell me that the number has been
disconnected.  Can anyone verify that Advent is still in business?

Chuck Fuller

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (11/10/90)

csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) writes:

> As the owner of a coupla old Kaypro II's, I was quite excited when I read thi
> But, alas, the phone company recordings tell me that the number has been
> disconnected.  Can anyone verify that Advent is still in business?
>
> Chuck Fuller

Advent is no longer in business, as far as I know.  I believe
they went out of business a couple of months ago.

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (11/12/90)

In article <Zm1Ds1w163w@ijpc.UUCP>, ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) writes:
> csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) writes:
>
>> As the owner of a coupla old Kaypro II's, I was quite excited when I read thi
>> But, alas, the phone company recordings tell me that the number has been
>> disconnected.  Can anyone verify that Advent is still in business?
>>
>> Chuck Fuller
>
> Advent is no longer in business, as far as I know.  I believe
> they went out of business a couple of months ago.

What does this mean to Advent ROM owners?  Have their products been given
to another company to distribute, in case I want to get one myself in the
future??   Does Plu*perfect or someone have rights to the ROM code now??

Ronn

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (11/13/90)

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

> In article <Zm1Ds1w163w@ijpc.UUCP>, ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) writes:
> > csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) writes:
> >
> >> As the owner of a coupla old Kaypro II's, I was quite excited when I read
> >> But, alas, the phone company recordings tell me that the number has been
> >> disconnected.  Can anyone verify that Advent is still in business?
> >>
> >> Chuck Fuller
> >
> > Advent is no longer in business, as far as I know.  I believe
> > they went out of business a couple of months ago.
>

> What does this mean to Advent ROM owners?  Have their products been given
> to another company to distribute, in case I want to get one myself in the
> future??   Does Plu*perfect or someone have rights to the ROM code now??
>
> Ronn

That's a good questin.  Someone wrote earlier that Bridger
Mitchell wrote some of the code in the TurboROM (Bridger, if
you're out there, please correct me if I'm wrong, or someone!);
if that were the case, then Plu*Perfect wold probably still stock
it.

) (11/14/90)

In article <a0kJs1w163w@ijpc.UUCP>, ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) writes:
> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>> > Advent is no longer in business, as far as I know.  I believe
>> > they went out of business a couple of months ago.
>>

>> What does this mean to Advent ROM owners?  Have their products been given
>> to another company to distribute, in case I want to get one myself in the
>> future??   Does Plu*perfect or someone have rights to the ROM code now??
>>
>> Ronn
>
> That's a good questin.  Someone wrote earlier that Bridger
> Mitchell wrote some of the code in the TurboROM (Bridger, if
> you're out there, please correct me if I'm wrong, or someone!);
> if that were the case, then Plu*Perfect wold probably still stock
> it.

Well, I know that most of P*P's stuff like DosDisk, etc. needs the Turbo ROM
Which I don't have, of course, so I would have assumed that BM has contacts
with the TROM at least.  He could get hold of the rights if he wanted to.
Anyways, what is in that ROM as compared to others (like my PROMAX 884, by uC)
Does the Code come with the Turbo ROM?  (Some how doubt it, as usual)  The uC
ROM didn't come with code.  How much was the Turbo ROM?

Ronn

Also, on a tangent here, and related to the dead networks thread. . .
I recall that there was a Kaypro network out there some time ago, right??

What happened to it?????