[comp.os.cpm] I want to convert Kaypro I cpm data to msdos or Apple Z80 cpm

shl@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Stephen Landman) (11/13/90)

I've got a Kaypro I (actually I've got two of them), and I want
to know if there's a conversion program out there to make either
ms dos or Apple CP/M disks from the Kaypro CP/M disks.

--
Stephen Landman               |       SLANDMAN@MCIMail.com
3460 Platt Road               |               or

pittman@mwk.uucp (V. Darrell Pittman, M.W. Kellogg, KT26, 713-753-4410) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov13.070859.19357@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us>, shl@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Stephen Landman) writes:

> I've got a Kaypro I (actually I've got two of them), and I want
> to know if there's a conversion program out there to make either
> ms dos or Apple CP/M disks from the Kaypro CP/M disks.

Programs like COMPAT (from Mycroft Labs) and Uniform (vendor forgotten)
convert Kaypro to MS-DOS and vice-versa.  I looked around for a way to
convert to Apple II disks, but was basically told it was impossible because
their disk drives are just so different.  (Someone once told me they basically
treat a disk drive as a direct-access cassette tape, whatever that means
--no flames please--).

Best bet for the Apple is to set it next to the Kaypro, get out
the trusty old null modem cable, crank both RS-232s up to 19.2 kbps,
and start a YMODEM/Batch file transfer.

--- Darrell Pittman     email: pittman@mwk.uucp   cis: 72277,3146      ---
--- M. W. Kellogg Co.   phone: (713) 753-4410     fax: (713) 753-5353  ---
--- 601 Jefferson Ave.  Houston, TX 77002 U.S.A.                       ---

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...
Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax; of cabbages, and kings."
                                 --Lewis Carroll--

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (11/18/90)

pittman@mwk.uucp (V. Darrell Pittman, M.W. Kellogg, KT26, 713-753-4410) writes:

> ...and Uniform (vendor forgotten)

The vendor in question is MicroSolutions.

> Best bet for the Apple is to set it next to the Kaypro, get out
> the trusty old null modem cable, crank both RS-232s up to 19.2 kbps,
> and start a YMODEM/Batch file transfer.

It depends on what software you're using, and what operating
system you're operating it under.  If you're using ProDOS or DOS
3.3, then you might be able to get away with it at 19.2kb.  But
if you're using CP/M, it depends on the card and software.

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (11/19/90)

Emerald MicroWare (ad in Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar) handles Uniform and has
an add-on drive for a MS-DOS system that handles Apple II diskettes.

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408