[comp.os.cpm] Kaypro disk with unix dd command

snipehunt%maple.decnet@PINE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU ("MAPLE::SNIPEHUNT") (10/26/90)

I think that a problem you'll run into is that the Kaypro's system tracks
are single density, even though the rest of the disk is double density.
As I don't have a Kaypro myself, I'm operating on what I recall reading
somewhere some years ago, so caveat coorespondent! :-)

rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) (10/26/90)

snipehunt%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:

> I think that a problem you'll run into is that the Kaypro's system tracks
> are single density, even though the rest of the disk is double density.

Is this correct??  I've never seen a Kaypro diskette like this.  I thought
that Cromemco was the only vendor to pull this trick!!  What's the scoop??

		 roger             rzh@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
					   icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov

floyd@hayes.ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (10/27/90)

In article <9010261511.AA21388@icf.llnl.gov.llnl.gov> rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) writes:
>snipehunt%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>
>> I think that a problem you'll run into is that the Kaypro's system tracks
>> are single density, even though the rest of the disk is double density.
>
>Is this correct??  I've never seen a Kaypro diskette like this.  I thought
>that Cromemco was the only vendor to pull this trick!!  What's the scoop??

No, kaypro disk format is double density on the system tracks too.  I'm
quite sure of this as I once dis-assembled and re-wrote the monitor ROM
code to use quad density drives.  (When it still cost money to get the
source code for it.)

When double density drives first came out there were a number of
systems that did make the system tracks single density.  The ones
that I knew of were all 8" floppies though, but I suppose someone
did it with 5 1/4 floppies too.

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson   floyd@hayes.ims.alaska.edu    floydd@chinet.chi.il.us
Salcha, AK 99714    connected by paycheck to Alascom, Inc.

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (10/28/90)

In article <9010261511.AA21388@icf.llnl.gov.llnl.gov> rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) writes:
>snipehunt%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>> I think that a problem you'll run into is that the Kaypro's system tracks
>> are single density, even though the rest of the disk is double density.
>Is this correct??  I've never seen a Kaypro diskette like this.  I thought
>that Cromemco was the only vendor to pull this trick!!  What's the scoop??

The only Kaypros that used single-density system tracks were the original
Kaycomp II's -- they had single-density drives.  I think that the Xerox
double-density formats had single-density boot tracks.  I have a friend
who put several 820-II's together, and I'll ask him about it (he still
has his Big Board, but he uses an Amiga now).
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (11/06/90)

>The only Kaypros that used single-density system tracks were the original
>Kaycomp II's -- they had single-density drives.

As a Kaycomp owner, I disagree.  Single sided, double density on the
original Kaycomp/Kaypro II's.  But at least one of the Osbornes had
single sided, single density on the whole floppy.

--

Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

blh@PacBell.COM (Brian Holliday) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov6.001641.20927@tc.fluke.COM> alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) writes:
>>The only Kaypros that used single-density system tracks were the original
>>Kaycomp II's -- they had single-density drives.
>
>As a Kaycomp owner, I disagree.  Single sided, double density on the
>original Kaycomp/Kaypro II's.  But at least one of the Osbornes had
>single sided, single density on the whole floppy.

Non-Linear Systems demonstrated the Kaycomp II at a computer faire in San
Francisco in 1981.  It had single-sided single-density floppies -- for about
90K of data.  This was similar to the Osborne.  But when the computer started
to be sold a few months later, the computer box had a different look, and the
floppies were single-sided double-density -- for about 180K of data.

Brian Holliday (...!pacbell!pbhyf!blh)

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.001641.20927@tc.fluke.COM> alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) writes:
>As a Kaycomp owner, I disagree.  Single sided, double density on the
>original Kaycomp/Kaypro II's.  But at least one of the Osbornes had
>single sided, single density on the whole floppy.

I have a sales brochure from Non-Linear Systems for the Kaycomp -- it
talks about the "big" 90 kilobyte disk drives.  The machine pictured
has two full-height drives, mounted vertically on either side of the
crt.  Also, the power switch and crt brightness control are on the
front of the machine -- where they belong!

--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@acn.purdue.edu

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (11/07/90)

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) writes:
>>The only Kaypros that used single-density system tracks were the original
>>Kaycomp II's -- they had single-density drives.
>
>As a Kaycomp owner, I disagree.  Single sided, double density on the
>original Kaycomp/Kaypro II's.  But at least one of the Osbornes had
>single sided, single density on the whole floppy.
>
>--
>
>Al Weiss                   alz@tc.fluke.com                      206-356-5252
>John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.  MS-269E   PO Box 9090  Everett, WA 98206-9090  USA

As I recall, the program MFDISK for the Kaypro II listed a SSSD option under
the Kaypro selection.  So *some* model of Kaypro must have had SD tracks.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (11/22/90)

This was thrashed through a while back.  There may have been a very few of the
very early KayComp computers that used single density (throughout, rather than
just system tracks), but the Kaypro II, 4, 2, 2X, and 10 were all DD.

                                                - don