[comp.os.cpm] Amstrad CPC

jungkunz@doitcr.doit.sub.org (Helmut Jungkunz) (11/23/90)

Hello world, as they say.   Doesn't anybody ever read my notes?
We, the Schneider/Amstrad CPC User Group of Munich, Germany, very well
support the CPC machines with their various RAM expansions and BIOSes.

There  i s  a harddisk for the CPCs. For all three types the same one!
It does cost more than the computer, but - it contains the 20 MB Harddisk
with a SEAGATE-type controller, an interface to handle the I/O plus a very
well written and very well serviced BIOS EPROM, enabling you to use a
quad density (80 Track souble sided) drive with three different auto-login
formats: Vortex (almost identical to ALTOS 5), a DATA-Format and a System
format. Drive 0 is normally drive A: and a 3" drive is expected. It is possible
to boot from any partition of the harddisk as well as from any disk.

It is necessary to have at least a minimum configuration RAM-disk by either
dktronics or (better) the same brand as the hard disk:
DOBBERTIN Elektronik, Brahmsstr. 4, 6835 Bruehl, West-Germany

I have been using my hard disk together with NZCOM and Z3PLUS since more than a
year now (I originated the idea then to the manufacturer) and I can only say:
You don't even notice anything else but comfort as long as you are in CP/M.
In Basic, some ill-behaved programs store their variables at a far too high
point in memory. But that had been a problem from the first day of computers till
today. As you might have guessed, it is possible to run 6128 Programs  a n d
CP/M Plus on all three CPCs with this configuration. If you are using your
computer regularly - go out and buy this delight for your nerves. I also have
an IBM-clone, but it's fan and hard disk are much louder and get on my nerves.
I just use it for mailboxing and word processing every now and then.

Please - do spread the word. There are MEGABYTES of P.D. Software sitting here
ready to go out to any willing regional distributor at very little charge.
Keep Z up and going!

Ciao,

-> Helmut Jungkunz <-

ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) (11/26/90)

Sorry about this folks - the mail bounced.  I am slightly more
suprised that it did this time, the address looks much more like a
domain address.  However, please check the address.

In article <1543@doitcr.doit.sub.org> jungkunz@doitcr.doit.sub.org writes:
> Hello world, as they say.   Doesn't anybody ever read my notes?
> We, the Schneider/Amstrad CPC User Group of Munich, Germany, very well
> support the CPC machines with their various RAM expansions and BIOSes.
I must admit that I didn't recall you mentioning a HD.  I did try to
reply to your earlier messages, but the mail bounced (althougth
this  return address looks _much_ better).

> There  i s  a harddisk for the CPCs. For all three types the same one!
> [...]
>
> It is necessary to have at least a minimum configuration RAM-disk by either
> dktronics or (better) the same brand as the hard disk:
> DOBBERTIN Elektronik, Brahmsstr. 4, 6835 Bruehl, West-Germany
Now, that sounds very interesting.   Both the HD, and the ram-disk.
Could you mail me more information about the ram-disk (I already own
the dk'tronics one but I have a friend who would be very interested
in the one you mention).

The HD is also interesting - but costing more than the machine, I
don't think that I can afford it.  Infact, I would rather go out and
buy a '286 or a '386 given the price difference (they are here for
NZ$3000 compared to the cost of the Amstrad CPC for NZ$1200).  This
is mostly due to the terrible support that Amstrad recieves in NZ.,
and the fact that most people here own PC clones.

> I have been using my hard disk together with NZCOM and Z3PLUS [...]
I was considering the purchase of NZCOM or Z3PLUS, but I wasn't sure
how well it would work with the machine.  I am already having
trouble with the BIOS patch for the dk'tronics ram disk (under CP/M
Plus). Do you have any replacement patches suitable?

> Please - do spread the word. There are MEGABYTES of P.D. Software sitting here
> ready to go out to any willing regional distributor at very little charge.
> Keep Z up and going!
I am interested in this.  Do you think it would be possible to put
some of the programs onto 5.25" floppies if I were to mail them
to you?  Can you supply a mail address?

Ewen McNeill, Secretary for Amswell - Amstrad club of Wellington NZ.

--
Ewen McNeill.				Email: ewen@actrix.gen.nz