[comp.os.cpm] Is MIX C still available for cp/m?

TAGLANCE@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU (LANCE TAGLIAPIETRA) (12/16/90)

Hello everyone,

Some time ago someone on this newsgroup mentioned a C compiler by MIX Software
for cp/m.  Does anyone know if this compiler is still available?  As I recall,
the package was around $25US and included a book on C, does anyone have any
other details to share? Your assistance is appreciated.

Lance Tagliapietra  taglance@ucs.uwplatt.edu or taglance@uwplatt

gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (12/17/90)

In article <EC593BC31F3FA008AC@ucs.uwplatt.edu> TAGLANCE@ucs.UWPLATT.EDU
(LANCE TAGLIAPIETRA) writes:
>Some time ago someone on this newsgroup mentioned a C compiler by MIX Software
>for cp/m.  Does anyone know if this compiler is still available?  As I recall,
>the package was around $25US and included a book on C, does anyone have any
>other details to share? Your assistance is appreciated.

I have a single-sheet mailing from them from October 1988.  The only price
they show is a "special student discount price" of $29.95, plus $5 s/h.
This package includes the compiler (with 434-page book), a split-screen
editor and a windowing source-level debugger.  Unfortunately, only the
compiler is part of the CP/M version; the other goodies were developed for
MS-DOS (the sheet, in fact, is very much MS-DOS-oriented).  I don't
remember why they sent me the "educational package" price; it may be that
that had become their price for all customers.  Anyway, for more up-to-date
information (it's Sunday, so I can't do it), you can contact them at:

	Mix Software
	1132 Commerce Drive
	Richardson, TX 75081
	214-783-6001

By the way, they claim to support the full K&R standard, including bit
fields plus enums and structure assignments.  You may not want to use these
features yourself, but it's increasingly likely that you'll encounter them
in PD source.  Just yesterday I was burned by BDS C's refusal to allow
static assignment of character arrays.  This further complicated building
of sgrep from a C Users' Group diskette.  I *still* prefer BDS C to Aztec C
for stuff I need to run small and fast, though.

On the other hand, be sure that these advertised features are actually
in the *CP/M* version; many commercial vendors are simply selling older
versions, having ceased development years ago.  These often started as
"subset" compilers, and were done well before enums, etc. became popular.
Good luck.

Oh yes, please post what you learn, particularly about the status of their
CP/M support.

				-Jim.

pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) (12/17/90)

pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) writes:

> gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) writes:
>    [...some stuff deleted...]
>

> > By the way, they claim to support the full K&R standard, including bit
> > fields plus enums and structure assignments.  You may not want to use these
> > features yourself, but it's increasingly likely that you'll encounter them
> > in PD source.  Just yesterday I was burned by BDS C's refusal to allow
> > static assignment of character arrays.  This further complicated building
> > of sgrep from a C Users' Group diskette.  I *still* prefer BDS C to Aztec C
> > for stuff I need to run small and fast, though.
> >
> > On the other hand, be sure that these advertised features are actually
> > in the *CP/M* version; many commercial vendors are simply selling older
> > versions, having ceased development years ago.  These often started as
> > "subset" compilers, and were done well before enums, etc. became popular.
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Oh yes, please post what you learn, particularly about the status of their
> > CP/M support.
> >
> > 				-Jim.

Sorry about the messed up quoting above, guys.  Still learning this
editor.
Anyway I ahve MIX C for CP/M and it IS K&R standard.  The split screen
editor is a seperate package, which I also have.  The editor uses a lot
of overlays, so it would be slow on a floppy; on a HD it's ok, on a
ramdisk it would be great.  It's a very complete editor - you can
redefine EVERYTHING, it does macros, it works on disk based files
(there's another slowdown) and it comes quite well documented.

All this I got some (3?) years ago so it might not be available but if it
is go for it.  The compiler has BIOS routines, a speedup optimizer, and a
shrink optimizer, and a linker I think.  The tutorial is really good -
you can learn C from it.

tom@afthree.as.arizona.edu (Thomas J. Trebisky) (12/19/90)

In article <61602@bbn.BBN.COM> gonzalez@BBN.COM (Jim Gonzalez) writes:
> [.....]  Just yesterday I was burned by BDS C's refusal to allow
>static assignment of character arrays.  This further complicated building
>of sgrep from a C Users' Group diskette.  I *still* prefer BDS C to Aztec C
>for stuff I need to run small and fast, though.	[....]

Some time ago there was a request for information/review of the various CP/M C
compilers.  I would like to see a posting of the various compilers with
their pros and cons.  I would be happy to collect this info and post a
summary, but I suspect this has alread been done (maybe I missed it?).

I have used the Aztec compiler with complete satisfaction, MIX is a new one,
I have the BDS 1.50 compiler sitting on the shelf and have not yet given it
a try.  I have some projects up and coming where I will want to ROM the code,
any suggestions on whether Aztec or BDS would be better for this?  Actually
any hints on ROMing C code for a Z80 controller kind of project would be
happily accepted.

	ttrebisky@as.arizona.edu	(Internet)