[comp.os.cpm] DisplayWriter and CP/M 86

vspicer@ccu.umanitoba.ca (11/21/90)

I've seen in an old issue of "kilobaud microcomputing" an ad from
Digital Research stating that CP/M 86 could operate on an IBM
DisplayWriter. Does anyone have a bootable CP/M 86 that can
operate on a DisplayWriter? Also, if this is true, what CP/M software
is available? A friend has a nice unit he got for nothing and it makes
a nifty word processor, but if it can work as a computer as well...
that would be great. All he has with it is a self-booting word processor
disk which has only rudimentary DOS functions like delete file.

						thanks very much
							vic spicer

vspicer@ccu.umanitoba.ca (12/25/90)

Hello net world. I recently found CP/M 86 for the IBM DisplayWriter.
It appears to function well and makes what was otherwise a word processor
into a real computer of sorts. In the setup.cmd program it has configurations
for communication ports which it can't detect. From this I presume the
DisplayWriter can have communucation ports but this unit doesn't. Any ideas
where I can find such a board? Hopefully they are standard RS232's.
Also of course now we need software. Does anyone out there have anything
for CP/M 86 formatted to a DisplayWriter readable 8" disk. The stuff of
interest would be:
	some sort of database (dbase 2?)
	some sort of spreadsheet (supercalc?)
	programming languages (mbasic, pl/1, fortran, cbasic, pascal)
	communications program to go with serial board

maybe i'm working on the silly assumption that such stuff actually made
it to CP/M 86, but it seems to be a pretty good, fast OS. also, does
anyone have some technical specs on the DisplayWriter? We didn't get any
manuals with it.

						thanks and have a good holiday
							vic spicer

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec24.162439.6459@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, vspicer@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
> Also of course now we need software. Does anyone out there have anything
> for CP/M 86 formatted to a DisplayWriter readable 8" disk.

I think that any old 8" SSSD CP/M disk will be readable by the thing.

> The stuff of
> interest would be:
> 	some sort of database (dbase 2?)
> 	some sort of spreadsheet (supercalc?)
> 	programming languages (mbasic, pl/1, fortran, cbasic, pascal)
> 	communications program to go with serial board
>
> maybe i'm working on the silly assumption that such stuff actually made
> it to CP/M 86, but it seems to be a pretty good, fast OS. also, does
> anyone have some technical specs on the DisplayWriter? We didn't get any
> manuals with it.

I know that spreadsheets, programming languages, and communications
programs made it to CP/M-86. I've seen (but, alas, don't have) Microsoft's
MultiPlan, a C compiler or two, and I've got KERMIT for my Rainbow. The
old Turbo Pascal manual (you know, version 3.01A and before; when it was
good) has a section on CP/M-86. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still
get CP/M-86 Turbo from Borland; it was only a few years ago that I ordered
8" CP/M-80 Turbo from them.

Glad to hear you've got it running.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W