[comp.os.cpm] UUCP and CPM Plus

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) (12/08/90)

Two queries:

Does anyone have Dave Goodenough's UUCP suite of version later than
2.1a (9)? If so, could they mail me that they have it. I don't want them
to mail it to me - I would then get 3+ copies of it. (I pay by kilobyte).

What is the convention for the "true" file length byte in CPM Plus?
(It's set by setting flag f6' and putting the byte value in CR).
I assume it is the number of unused bytes in the last sector. Is this right?

--
If life is just a bowl of cherries, you'd better watch out for the stones.
    Paul Martin. pm111@tharr.uucp INTERNET: pm111%tharr.uucp@ukc.ac.uk

ns@iddth2.id.dk (Nick Sandru (langt haar)) (12/13/90)

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

[ ... ]

>What is the convention for the "true" file length byte in CPM Plus?
>(It's set by setting flag f6' and putting the byte value in CR).
>I assume it is the number of unused bytes in the last sector. Is this right?

It is the number of the _used_ bytes in the last 128-byte record.

>--
>If life is just a bowl of cherries, you'd better watch out for the stones.
>    Paul Martin. pm111@tharr.uucp INTERNET: pm111%tharr.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
>    <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

Long Haired Nick

--

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) (12/20/90)

In article <ns.661089427@iddth2> ns@iddth2.id.dk (Nick Sandru (langt haar)) writes:

>>What is the convention for the "true" file length byte in CPM Plus?
>>(It's set by setting flag f6' and putting the byte value in CR).
>>I assume it is the number of unused bytes in the last sector. Is this right?
>
>It is the number of the _used_ bytes in the last 128-byte record.

If that's so, is a value of zero in this place mean that the last block
contains 128 used bytes? The "unused bytes" scenario seems more natural...

Clarification anyone?

--
If life is just a bowl of cherries, you'd better watch out for the stones.
    Paul Martin. pm111@tharr.uucp INTERNET: pm111%tharr.uucp@ukc.ac.uk
    <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->

mlinar@pollux.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (12/21/90)

Regarding the "length byte" in CP/M 3.0.

Checking my CP/M Plus manual, it is indeed the length in bytes (module 128).
Thus, a value of "00" means the sector is full.

In fact, that is the default because it is up to the application to set this
value.  There are FEW programs which worry or care about the length of the
last sector in CP/M since there was never this mechanism in CP/M 2.2 which
is still the mainstay (or clone-stay) of CP/M these days.

Unless you are strictly in CP/M+ land and ALL of your applications know it,
use of this byte is of no help.

-Mitch

pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) (12/21/90)

pm111@tharr.UUCP (Paul Martin) writes:

> In article <ns.661089427@iddth2> ns@iddth2.id.dk (Nick Sandru (langt haar)) w
>
> >>What is the convention for the "true" file length byte in CPM Plus?
> >>(It's set by setting flag f6' and putting the byte value in CR).
> >>I assume it is the number of unused bytes in the last sector. Is this right
> >
> >It is the number of the _used_ bytes in the last 128-byte record.
>
> If that's so, is a value of zero in this place mean that the last block
> contains 128 used bytes? The "unused bytes" scenario seems more natural...
>
> Clarification anyone?

The DR CP/M 3 manual says "This facility can identify THE LAST BYTE of
the last record of the file."  Whether DR counts beginning at 0 or at 1
is not stated.

However, the value is set to 0 when the file is created and has a zero
length.  Maybe you have to look at the record count in this case to
deduce what number DR starts with.

pm@nowster.UUCP (Paul Martin) (01/04/91)

Thanks for all the help the net has given.

As you can see, I have now got DG's UUCP package.

--
Paul Martin                       pm111@tharr.uucp
nowster!pm@tharr.uucp    ..!uunet!tharr!nowster!pm