[comp.os.cpm] Help with embedded ^Z

jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) (01/01/91)

I was adding some control characters to a text file for a printer and,
without realising the consequences, added a control Z in the first line
of the file.

I've tryed using pip thus:
>pip
*a.a=b.b[osStuff^Z]

Where "Stuff" is a string that occurs in the second block of the file.

No luck, Word Master still won't edit the file.  I don't have a lot of
the utilities around, BASIC-80 and PIP usually do the trick.  I tryed
reading the file in BASIC, no luck.

Any help would be appreciated ...
--
     Jerry Natowitz
     Guest user on:

jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) (01/04/91)

^Z?  A friend disassembled the @#$% thing to learn how to get that error
message.  I would first try simply _editing_ your original (corrupted)
file under Word Master.  You should be able to see and delete the
offender.  (If you copied the file using a 'dumb' utility, it may have
been truncated.  Hope that hasn't happened.) It's been a long time
since I used it, but Word Master shouldn't balk at ^Z (except for giving
you some unsolicited advice).

--
MILLS,JOHN M.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm59

jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) (01/04/91)

--
MILLS,JOHN M.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm59
Internet: jm59@prism.gatech.edu

jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) (01/04/91)

Sorry - Un-truncated text was:
Did you get Word Master's message when you originally _entered_ the

jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) (01/05/91)

In article <19136@hydra.gatech.EDU> jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) writes:
>... but Word Master shouldn't balk at ^Z (except for giving
>you some unsolicited advice).

In fact Word Master gave me no advise about the ^Z, it just refused to
read the file past that point (which was in the first line, of course).

I ended up using BASIC to edit the file as a random access file.