[comp.os.cpm] Using MediaMaster and Uniform

snelson@ptdcell0.intel.com (shannon nelson) (01/11/91)

In article <9101091819.AA00877@icf.llnl.gov.llnl.gov> rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) writes:

>                        ...  I can tell you, from personal experience,
>that it will NOT read these Ozzy diskettes, if they are single density,
>on a vanilla PC clone unless you have a specialized controller/drives.
>It has problems with single density diskettes (early Osbournes used SD).
>There are other formats that they advertise, that will not work (Cromemco
>DSDD is a notable example).  ...

I've worked with both MediaMaster and Uniform, though not with a large
number of off-the-wall systems.  However, I have noticed that I usually
must format the transfer diskette with MM or Uniform before copying the
data onto the disk.  When formatted by the target machine, MM & Uniform
often can't read it.  When formatted with MM or Uniform, usually both
can read and write the diskette.

Hope it helps...

Shannon Nelson              Portland Technology Development, Intel
snelson@ptd.intel.com       (503) 642-8149	I don't speak for Intel
                  Parents can't afford to be squeemish.

rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) (01/12/91)

In <1991Jan10.200431.1893@intelhf.hf.intel.com> snelson@ptdcell0.intel.com
  (shannon nelson) writes:

  ......stuff deleted

> number of off-the-wall systems.  However, I have noticed that I usually
> must format the transfer diskette with MM or Uniform before copying the

  ......more stuff deleted

This is a hint given in the documentation, but in my case, it didn't help.
I tried lots of different combinations, without success.  I guess I have
no problem with these programs; they are *VERY* useful *IF* they work.
My problem is that the vendor makes expansive claims about the formats
that they can process, and the warning to potential users is that these
claims *CAN* be untrue.  Be careful!!  Particularly if the format you are
interested in reading is single-density and/or not-so-common.

Even worse, in the case of MediaMaster, phone calls to the vendor for
help were treated as a nuisance.  Then you are really stuck.

Again, the bulk of these comments are directed toward the MediaMaster
product.  I have little experience with Uniform or 22Disk.

        roger          icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                         rzh@phoenix.ocf.llnl.gov