[comp.os.cpm] Compression algorithms wanted

josef@peun11.uucp (Moellers) (02/01/90)

Hi,

I am writing a program to unpack .LBR archives on UNIX (perhaps pack later).
I have the structure of the archive (which is fairly simple).

What I am looking for is a description of the compression algorithms
used when squeezing or crunching files (i.e. generating *.?Z? or *.?Q?)

Any pointers or help?
I'll make the program available if there is any interest!

thanks in advance
Josef Moellers				      |	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG
 USA: uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad  |	Abt. DX-PC
!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad	      |	Pontanusstr
Phone: (+49) 5251 146245		      |	D-4790 Paderborn

tilmann@cosmo.UUCP (Tilmann Reh) (02/04/90)

Hello.

josef@peun11.uucp (Moellers) is looking for crunching and squeezing
algorithms.

Well, I got 'em. When I programmed ARC 2.0 few months ago, I had to find
out the algorithms used in the V1.0 pascal sources and the ARCSQ C sources.
As a result, I guess that I know them a little bit now. You can contact me
via e-mail or (voice-) phone directly: (0271) 312599.

Tilmann Reh, D-5900 Siegen

shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Dan Fandrich) (02/06/90)

In article <774@nixpbe.UUCP> josef@peun11.uucp (Moellers) writes:
>I am writing a program to unpack .LBR archives on UNIX (perhaps pack later).
>I have the structure of the archive (which is fairly simple).
>
>What I am looking for is a description of the compression algorithms
>used when squeezing or crunching files (i.e. generating *.?Z? or *.?Q?)

Don't forget *.?Y? !  This is the LZH compression algorithm which was ported
to CP/M last September.  The file -SOURCE.NOT contained in the CRLZH11.LBR
library (the cruncher/uncruncher files) contains the sentence:

     "Most of the 'interesting' stuff is in the LZH encoding and decoding
      algorithms, anyway, which are released in .REL (and .SLR) format
      ONLY at this time."

I wouldn't think the algorithm would be much (if at all) different from the
LZH program available for some time for MS-DOS.  Don't know if you can get
specs for it, either.  The author of the CRLZH routines for CP/M is
R. Warren and he gives the number of The Elephant's Graveyard data line
(619) 270-3148 where he can be reached.  That might be another good place to
ask questions about all the compression routines (I've never them myself,
though).

--
>>> Dan Fandrich

Internet:   shad04@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Compu$erve: 72365,306

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (01/15/91)

I think I got sources for Unix versions of LU, UNCRUNCH, USQ, etc
from the UNIX-C.CPM section of Simtel20.
Clarence Wilkerson