[comp.os.cpm] Ztime Clock, Uniform

sage@LL.MIT.EDU (Jay Sage) (01/19/91)

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

>> Our BBS uses a Kenmore Ztime-I Calendar/Clock in our Kaypro 10.  It was, I
>> understand, widely used a few years ago as a Kaypro add-on clock.  The
>> company is Kenmore Computer Technologies, 71 Argonne Drive, Kenmore, NY
>> 14217.  Phone (716) 877-0617.  I don't know if they are still in business.

   I use these clock daughter boards in a number of my computers and have
always been very happy with them.  Their one shortcoming is that they do not
keep track of the year.  There are some extra registers, and there is a
common convention for storing the year in one of those registers.  Then one
just has to remember every January 1 to update the year value.

   I do not know what the status of Kenmore Computer Technologies is.  They
moved at one point, and we lost track of them for a while.  In any case,
Chris McEwen, sysop of Z-Node 32, is a source for these units.  He even
offers, I believe, a discounted price.  Contact him at

        Chris McEwen
        433 Frederick Ave.
        South Plainfield, NJ 07080
        201-753-3735

   On another note, Lindsay mentioned Uniform.  The company that makes it,
Micro Solutions, Inc., is definitely still in business.  Their Uniform for
the PC is my first choice for handling foreign formats on the PC (I have
MediaMaster also.  As far as I know, although no further development seems to
be underway with the CP/M products, they can still be purchased.  Contact
them at

        Micro Solutions, Inc.
        132 West Lincoln Highway
        DeKalb, IL 60115
        815-756-3411

-- Jay Sage

gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (01/23/91)

In article <9101181347.AA08152@LL.MIT.EDU> sage@LL.MIT.EDU (Jay Sage) writes:
>   I do not know what the status of Kenmore Computer Technologies is.  They
>moved at one point, and we lost track of them for a while.  In any case,
>Chris McEwen, sysop of Z-Node 32, is a source for these units.  He even
>offers, I believe, a discounted price.  Contact him at
>
>        Chris McEwen
>        433 Frederick Ave.
>        South Plainfield, NJ 07080
>        201-753-3735

If anyone tried the above number and it failed, try area code 908-753-3735.
South Plainfield is in the part of New Jersey that moved to area code 908,
and the grace period (during which 908 calls dialed to 201 are rerouted) may
have ended by now.

I left a message on his machine this morning before leaving for work, and
will report what I learn this evening.

				-Jim.

gonzalez@bbn.com (Jim Gonzalez) (01/24/91)

In article <62254@bbn.BBN.COM> I wrote:
>I left a message on his machine this morning before leaving for work, and
>will report what I learn this evening.

Well, I'm a little late in reporting, but here's what I found out:

Kenmore Technologies is still in business, and is still producing the clock.
Their price is $99.95.  Chris is buying bare boards from them (he could
simply copy the board design but he's "not in the business of ripping off
people's intellectual property"), and populating the boards himself.  He's
offering the finished product for $79.95, including shipping.

The board plugs into the Z-80's socket, and then the Z-80 plugs into the
board.  For machines which lacke the clearance above the CPU socket for the
addtional board, there is a version that connects with a ribbon cable,
allowing the board to be sited elsewhere.  One needs to be careful of how
the cable is routed, avoiding RF noise from switching power supplies, etc
(the only failed installation Chris ever heard of was with an Altos whose
switcher drove the CPU nuts).  The device (a National 58167) appears at I/O
address 0xE0 (0E0h for you old-timers :-), and can be moved to a different
address with trace cuts and jumpers.

Checks should be written to Chris McEwen, and sent to him at:

	P.O. Box 12
	South Plainfield, NJ 07080-0012
	908-755-6186

The above phone number is covered by an answering machine, whereas the one
Jay gave earlier may not be.  You're more likely to reach Chris directly in
the evening, by the way.  Around 8pm seems to work.

				-Jim.

ahm@rick.att.com (Andy Meyer) (01/24/91)

In article <9101181347.AA08152@LL.MIT.EDU> sage@LL.MIT.EDU (Jay Sage) writes:
[re: sources of Kenmore Ztime-I Calendar/Clock]

>    I do not know what the status of Kenmore Computer Technologies is.  They
> moved at one point, and we lost track of them for a while.  In any case,
> Chris McEwen, sysop of Z-Node 32, is a source for these units.  He even
> offers, I believe, a discounted price.  Contact him at
 [home address deleted]

(As I write this, I have Chris on the phone. He doesn't have net access "yet?")

Chris would prefer that people contact him at:

    Socrates Z-Node 32
    P.O. Box 12
    S. Plainfield, NJ 07080
    (908) 755-6186

BTW, this is the same address for _The Computer Journal_ (plug, plug)
which ensures that if you need to leave a message it will get to him.

Andy

[Disclaimer: I am affiliated with _TCJ_ only as a satisfied reader.]
     .
       .    Andreas Meyer, N2FYE                         ahm@rick.att.com
   . O _    AT&T Computer System Technical Services
   _/=/     South Plainfield, NJ                          ..!att!rick!ahm

   _/ \_               "Jugglers do it 'til they drop."

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (01/24/91)

Does the Kaypro have any 28 pin EPROM sockets? If so one
could use the Dallas Semiconductor "SMART WATCH". You just
slip it between the EPROM and the old socket. The usual
price seems to be about $40, but I sometimes see it for
$25. It does need some software, because it's not the usual
read a RAM address or port.
Clarence