[comp.os.cpm] need CP/M file transfer binary for generic machine

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (01/30/91)

After ten years of Wordstar, my TRS-80 model II is fading away (one
drive gone, keyboard is flaky, display column 2 overlays column 1), and
I've bought a PC clone.  I need to get my files off the old 8-inch
disks.  To that end, I'm looking for a CP/M serial port file transfer
program.  The constraints:

  -- It must be for "generic" platforms: it has to restrict itself to
     BDOS and BIOS calls.  Going directly to the I/O ports won't work
     because the Pickles & Trout BIOS takes interrupts and snarfs input
     on those ports as soon as it arrives.

  -- It has to be in assembler or binary form -- I don't have a
     worthwhile C compiler.

Best of all would be a program that runs in server mode, so I don't
have to type two commands to transfer one file.

Any protocol is okay, I can match software on the PC clone to fit.

I tried a KERMIT.ASM with "gener" defined to TRUE, but the darn thing
tried to write out my Centronics port.  Looks like erroneous
manipulation of the IOBYTE.  I don't have enough machine left to debug
this version.

If I can get the software onto my VAX, I can get it onto my CP/M
system.  My VAX can FTP to much of the internet, but not to SIMTEL20
(sigh).

Any references would be greatly appreciated.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

todd@toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) (02/06/91)

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>After ten years of Wordstar, my TRS-80 model II is fading away (one
>drive gone, keyboard is flaky, display column 2 overlays column 1), and
>I've bought a PC clone.  I need to get my files off the old 8-inch
>disks.  To that end, I'm looking for a CP/M serial port file transfer
>program.

Either Kermit or Xmodem should work fine for you, as they are both
implemented on MSDOS and CP/M.  Kermit has the added advantage of
sending the file name across the transfer, and some implementations
accept wild cards.

The problem that you will have is getting a Kermit or Xmodem built
for your machine.  CP/M communications programs are tied to the
hardware because CP/M is too limited to provide those kinds of services.

One other alternative you may not yet have considered is the retrieval
of the files directly from the 8-inch disks.  It is true that the
5.25" formats varied wildly between the various CP/M machines, but
8" formats (for those machines that supported 8" drives) were more
standard.  You may try to find a Zenith Z100 owner (there is a newsgroup
for Z100s) who has 8" drives, and see if they can read your disks.
The Z100 is/was a dual processor (8085/8088) box that could run either
CP/M or MSDOS and could pass files back and forth.