[comp.os.cpm] cpm -> msdos

Woodie@DOCKMASTER.arpa (02/23/87)

msdos disk, I'll volunteer the short turbo pascal program I wrote to run
on a pc clone.  This program, running on an ibmpc, will read a cpm disk,
formatted by an Osborne (SSDD) and write in msdos format.  I haven't
tried it on large files, but since the source is pascal, it should
(hopefully) be easy enough to modify, if needed.

Sorry to be posting this to the net instead of a direct reply, but my
host couldn't determine the address for a direct reply.

--Paul Woodie (Woodie at dockmaster)

ari@well.UUCP (02/24/87)

In article <4602@brl-adm.ARPA> Woodie@DOCKMASTER.arpa (Paul E. Woodie) writes:

>msdos disk, I'll volunteer the short turbo pascal program I wrote to run
>on a pc clone.  This program, running on an ibmpc, will read a cpm disk,
>formatted by an Osborne (SSDD) and write in msdos format.  I haven't
>tried it on large files, but since the source is pascal, it should
>(hopefully) be easy enough to modify, if needed.

There are several commercial programs that will handle conversion from
various CP/M formats to MS-DOS.  The best is probably UNIORM, by
Micro Solutions.  It will not only let you read/write/format a variety
of CP/M formats, but will let you read those disks in your MS-DOS
computer as if they were native MS-DOS diskettes.  Other good ones
are Media Master, and Xenocopy.  Note that for high density or single
density formats you need a drive capable of reading them, and double
ditto for 8" formats--usually you need a special controller (which,
for instance, MicroSolutions also sells).

bruceh@servprod.inel.gov (Bruce Hiltbrand) (02/12/91)

Hi there! I am sorry to infringe on ya'll, but I have a problem
and this seemed the best place to get help.  I used to have an
Apple II+ compatible (Franklin Ace 1100) with a Microsoft
Softcard CPM emulator.  I used the card mainly to run Wordstar.
Herein lies the problem.  I sold the machine when I bought an MSDOS
machine.  I have some files from Wordstar on the CPM disk that I need
to transfer to the other machine.  I have access to the Ace 1100 still,
and it has a 300 baud modem.  The MSDOS machine also has a modem.  I don't
have a terminal emulator for CPM though.  I would like to be able to transfer
the files without having to use the modem, if possible.  I need to find
the CHEAPEST way to do the transfer. I really don't want to buy a program
for a one time usage - if you know what I mean.  I was wondering what kind of
options I have.
Thanks to anyone who can help -- in advance.  I can be reached via e-mail
at bruceh@pmafire.inel.gov or from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. MST at
(208)526-3185. Don't respond with the "r" or "R" command because our mailer
won't let the message get to me that way.  RESOND TO THE "FOLLOWUP-TO:"
ADDRESS ABOVE!
Many Thanks -- Bruce Hiltbrand (bruceh@pmafire.inel.gov)