[comp.os.cpm] MS-DOS emulator?

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (02/08/91)

Does anyone know anything about a shareware MS-DOS emulator for CP/M?

|                               |                                     |
|        Aaron Peromsik         |        "Please insert disk with     |
| hh2x@cornella.cit.cornell.edu |         with the 128 deskTop v2.0"  |
|  hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu    |                                     |
|                               |                                     |

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (02/08/91)

I suppose anything is possible given enough disk space and
time, bu I can't imagine a software MSDOS emulator.
  There are utilities to allow MSDOS diskettes to be
read on CP/M machines. On Simtel20, there's TRANSFER12
and I did a rewrite called DOSONCPM.

Clarence Wilkerson

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (02/10/91)

In article <1991Feb7.200213.2615@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone know anything about a shareware MS-DOS emulator for CP/M?

   gee, the sixties must have been good to you...

   ;)

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!

ravn@imada.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) (02/12/91)

hh2x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Does anyone know anything about a shareware MS-DOS emulator for CP/M?

Unfortunately, that is probably not possible.  MSDOS is requering 640 kb
of memory and a 80x8x processor to run.  CP/M is designed to use max. 64
Kb workspace running under a Z80 processor.  This means that you have to

1) Get a 8088 emulator running
2) a MS-DOS emulator running
3) and then find space for the >600 kb requering programe.

You can, however, transfer files easily.  I know of the commercial
programe called UniForm, and the shareware (?) programe 22DSK, which is
avalilable on Simtel20, and its mirrors.

I have several times used my CP/M machine as an editor, doing the hard
typing parts at home, and then moving my stuff to another machine (by
cable but essential the same thing).

Sorry.

Thorbj\oe{}rn Andersen   ravn@imada.dk