[comp.os.cpm] Help: 8" SA-851 Failure. Where to send for repair?

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) (02/13/91)

Problems.

My S-100 work has just come to an abrupt halt by the failure of both
Shugart 851 8" floppy drives.  One lost head #2 (the head that is on
the head-load lever) some time ago, the other lost it two days ago.

I find that if apply a light pressure on the heads then I can boot the
system.. but this is obviously non-optimal.

Questions:

	* I need references to repair places.  Where have YOU sent
	  8" drives for repair?

	* Does anyone have a manual for this series drive that has a
	  description of all the jumpers and what they do?  Maybe an
	  OEM manual with schematics?

YOUR help is greatly appreciated.

Mark
mbeck@ai.mit.edu

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (02/14/91)

mbeck@ai.mit.edu (Mark Becker) writes:
>Problems.
>
>My S-100 work has just come to an abrupt halt by the failure of both
>Shugart 851 8" floppy drives.  One lost head #2 (the head that is on
>the head-load lever) some time ago, the other lost it two days ago.
>
>I find that if apply a light pressure on the heads then I can boot the
>system.. but this is obviously non-optimal.

Assuming that dirty heads are not the problem, have you lost the spring that
loads the upper head?

>Questions:
>
>	* I need references to repair places.  Where have YOU sent
>	  8" drives for repair?

Can't help you there.  Likely you have a do-it-yourself project.

>	* Does anyone have a manual for this series drive that has a
>	  description of all the jumpers and what they do?  Maybe an
>	  OEM manual with schematics?

Perhaps the following will be of some help.

                  Customer Cut/Add Trace Options
TRACE                                                SHIPPED FROM FACTORY
DESIGNATOR      DESCRIPTION                            OPEN    SHORT
5E              Terminations for M'plxd Std Inputs        H  Plugged
DS1             Drive Select 1 Input pin                     Plugged
DS2,3,4         Drive Select 2,3,4 Input Pins           X
1B,2B,3B,4B     Side Select Option Using Drive Select   X
RR              Radial Ready                                     X
RI              Radial Index and Sector                          X
R(SHUNT 4F)     Option Shunt for Ready Output                    X
2S              Two-Sided Status Output                 X
850/851         Sector Option Enable                   850      851
I(SHUNT 4F)     Index Outpur                                     X
S(SHUNT 4F)     Sector Output                                    X
DC              Disk Change Option                      X
HL(SHUNT 4F)    Stepper Power From Head Load                     X
DS              Stepper Power From Drive Select         X
WP              Inhibit Write When Write Protected               X
NP              Allow Write When Write Protected        X
D               Alternate Input In Use                  X
M               MulZ:Z-Media Option                           Plugged
DL              Door Latch Option                                X
A,B,X(SHUNT 4F) Radial Head Load                                 X
C               Alternate Input Head Load               X
Z(SHUNT 4F)     In Use From Drive Select                         X
Y               In Use From Head Load                   X        HC*L&#xSide
Select Option Using Direction Sel       X
S2              Standard Side Select Option                   Plugged
S3              Side Select Option Using Drive Select   X
TS,FS           Data Separation Option Select           TS   FS Plugged
IW              Write Current Switch                          Plugged
RS              Ready Standard                                Plugged
RM              Ready Modified                          X
HLL             Head Load Latch                         X
IT              In Use Terminator                             Plugged
HI              Head Load or In Use to the In Use Ckt   X
F (MLC10 only)  Remove for MFM encoding. Instl for M2FM X
AF(MLC11 only)  Install for FM or MFM encoding                Plugged
NF(MLC11 only)  Install for M2FM encoding               X

There is a DIP 'Shunt pack' at location 4F to select drive number and
other options as indicated above.  Also, at location 5E is a DIP socket
for a terminating resistor pack.  It appears to be simple 150 ohm per
resistor type rather than a 220/330 ohm divider.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com