[comp.os.cpm] uudecode for a K10...

kwgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (02/06/91)

	Greetings. Someone sent me some uuencoded-binary files to my
	UNIX account and, as much as I have tried, I have failed to
	get them to my Kaypro 10. I went even as far as getting a
	C compiler and sources for UUDECODE - failed. It seems the
	program is 32-bit specific, besides, the C compiler does not
	support disk I/O ;-)

	So, anyone have a K10 uudecode program? Here again is the
	problem, if you send me a .COM file, I have no way of getting
	it to the K10 (catch22??)

	I'm using MEX114 (Modem Executive) but as far as I can tell, it
	only handles ASCII capture... I have a X and Z modem transfer
	programs for the UNIX side of the problem, I just don't have anything
	for the K10.

	By the way, these are small files - I don't care if your solution
	runs at 110 baud :-)

	Again, I can go to Simtel and get stuff (that's actually where
	I got the software) but I can't get the binary files to my K10.

	Take care.

	P.S. I tried UUENCODING the files into text, using ASCII capture,
	but I can't get the C source for the UUDECODE on my K10 to compile.

	P.P.S. I have ST.COM (Super term) but have no idea how to transfer
	files. I have a feeling it also only supports text capture....
If reply bounces, try "kwgst@pittvms"... no? try "fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu"
Did you hear? Some Poles burned the Russian flag near the Soviet embassy,
in Poland. :-) :-) "Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself."

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (02/07/91)

kwgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

>	I'm using MEX114 (Modem Executive) but as far as I can tell, it
>	only handles ASCII capture... I have a X and Z modem transfer
>	programs for the UNIX side of the problem, I just don't have anything
>	for the K10.

Actually, MEX114 will handle Xmodem and Xmodem batch in both CRC and Checksum
modes.  It will also handle 1k block transmission - Ymodem, but not Ymodem
batch.  You should be able to transfer binary files with no problem.

>	P.P.S. I have ST.COM (Super term) but have no idea how to transfer
>	files. I have a feeling it also only supports text capture....
>--
Also wrong.  ST.COM will transfer binary files with Xmodem protocol also.
Just remember that '^-' gets you out of terminal mode, and figure out how from
the prompt line.

                                                 - don

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.232504.5663@simasd.uucp> donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:

> Actually, MEX114 will handle Xmodem and Xmodem batch in both CRC and Checksum
> modes.  It will also handle 1k block transmission - Ymodem, but not Ymodem
> batch.  You should be able to transfer binary files with no problem.

Are you sure that Mex 1.14 (I haven't used it in ages), does Ymodem,
rather than Xmodem-1K?  There is a big difference between the two; True
Ymodem sends the file name and a few other useful details (like exact
file length) with the file.

Because of a fate of the naming, someone called the new Xmodem variant
Ymodem, when Omen Techology had already released a program with another
protocol which they called Ymodem.

This leads to strange things, like the protocol being called True Ymodem
(Omen Technology's variety).  However, Ymodem batch has always been True
Ymodem, to my knowledge.

--
Ewen McNeill.				Email: ewen@actrix.gen.nz

tilmann@mcshh.hanse.de (Tilmann Reh) (02/10/91)

Hello,
here is a Turbo Pascal UUDECODE program - hoping you'll excuse me to not
translate texts into english. I wrote it in a few minutes, so it's not
my usual programming style - but works (first line of the UU file must
be the 'begin' line).				Greetings, Tilmann
-----------------------------------
program uudecode;

(* TR 160190 *)
(* quick'n dirty - kein Syntaxcheck der Datenzeilen! *)

const signon = 'UU-Decode V0.1 TR 160190';

var inf,out : text;
    name    : string[20];
    i       : integer;
    s       : string[255];
    x       : array[0..255] of byte absolute s;
    ch      : char;

begin
  writeln(^m^j,signon,^m^j);
  if paramcount=0 then begin
    write('Dateiname : '); readln(name) end
  else name:=paramstr(1);
  if name='' then halt;
  assign(inf,name);
  {$I-} reset(inf); {$I+}
  if ioresult<>0 then begin
    writeln('Datei nicht gefunden!');
    halt;
    end;

  i:=0;
  while not (eof(inf) or (i=1)) do begin
    readln(inf,s);
    i:=pos('begin ',s);
    end;
  delete(s,1,6);
  i:=pos(' ',s);
  name:=copy(s,succ(i),20);
  writeln('Mode: ',copy(s,1,pred(i)));
  writeln('Datei ',name,' wird bearbeitet.');
  assign(out,name);
  {$I-} reset(out); {$I+}
  if ioresult=0 then begin
    write('Datei existiert. Loeschen (J/N) ? ');
    repeat read(kbd,ch); ch:=upcase(ch) until (ch='J') or (ch='N');
    writeln(ch);
    if ch='N' then halt;
    end;

  rewrite(out);
  repeat
    readln(inf,s);
    if s<>'end' then begin
      delete(s,1,1);
      for i:=1 to length(s) do x[i]:=(x[i]-$20) and $3F;
      while length(s)>0 do begin
        write(out,chr((x[2] shr 4) + (x[1] shl 2)),
                  chr((x[3] shr 2) + (x[2] shl 4)),
                  chr((x[4]      ) + (x[3] shl 6)));
        delete(s,1,4);
        end;
      end;
  until s='end';
  close(out);
  end.

ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) (02/10/91)

I don't know anything about uudecode for CP/M, but I can tell you a simple way
to gain binary download capability for your machine.  Quite simply, if you can
get the Intel hex code for kermit via anonymous ftp from
watsun.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.1) which is all ascii text, then you can use
the command GENCMD on the CP/M end to generate the kermit executable.  I
believe you can find the official instructions on how to do this at the same
site.

I recently did the above after I aquired a DEC Rainbow for free and was stuck
with a terminal program that was only capable of capturing ascii text.  Intel
hex files end in .h86 and there are versions of kermit in this format for all
sorts of CP/M machines available at the above mentioned site.  I would be very
suprised it there wasn't one there for the good ole' Kaypro.

+---------< Eric A. Rasmussen - Mr. Neat-O (tm) >---------+ +< Email Address >+
|   A real engineer never reads the instructions first.   | | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|   (They figure out how it works by playing with it.)    | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ +-----------------+
                     ((( In Stereo Where Available )))

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (02/12/91)

ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:

> I don't know anything about uudecode for CP/M....

<<Rest of message deleted>>

SIMTEL20 has UUEN- and UUDECODE programs for CP/M-80.  They're
real helpful since I've got UUCP for CP/M...

lesley@cavebbs.gen.nz (Lesley Walker) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb9.093717.13309@actrix.gen.nz> ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) writes:
>In article <1991Feb6.232504.5663@simasd.uucp> donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:
>>
>> Actually, MEX114 will handle Xmodem and Xmodem batch in both CRC and Checksum
>> modes.  It will also handle 1k block transmission - Ymodem, but not Ymodem
>> batch.  You should be able to transfer binary files with no problem.
>>
>Are you sure that Mex 1.14 (I haven't used it in ages), does Ymodem,
>rather than Xmodem-1K?  There is a big difference between the two; True

I'm quite sure it doesn't do Ymodem. I've tried it on several boards, and
with Telix. It will talk to Xmodem, or in batch mode to Modem7, and it can
sometimes be coaxed into using 1k blocks.
--
Lesley Walker, Wellington, NZ.
email: lesley@cavebbs.gen.nz

john@attcan.UUCP (John Benfield) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb10.061205.4129@wpi.WPI.EDU>, ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
> I don't know anything about uudecode for CP/M, but I can tell you a simple way
> to gain binary download capability for your machine.  Quite simply, if you can
> get the Intel hex code for kermit via anonymous ftp from
> watsun.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.1) which is all ascii text, then you can use
> the command GENCMD on the CP/M end to generate the kermit executable.  I
> believe you can find the official instructions on how to do this at the same
> site.

GENCMD wasn't included with all CP/M implementations. However, you
can suck up the hex file into DDT and when you save it out, it'll
output as binary. (there are docs for this in the BIOS, BDOS and DDT
manuals)

______Opinions stated are my own. Transcripts available by request______
      ===
    =--====  AT&T Canada Inc.             John Benfield
   =----==== 3650 Victoria Park Ave.      Network Support Analyst (MIS)
   =----==== Suite 800
   ==--===== Willowdale, Ontario          attmail   : ~jbenfield
    =======  M2H-3P7			  email     : uunet!attcan!john
      ===    (416) 756-5221               Compu$erve: 72137,722

____Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines._____

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.180646.4032@cavebbs.gen.nz> lesley@cavebbs.gen.nz (Lesley Walker) writes:
>In article <1991Feb9.093717.13309@actrix.gen.nz> ewen@actrix.gen.nz (Ewen McNeill) writes:
>>In article <1991Feb6.232504.5663@simasd.uucp> donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:
>>>
>>> Actually, MEX114 will handle Xmodem and Xmodem batch in both CRC and Checksum
>>> modes.  It will also handle 1k block transmission - Ymodem, but not Ymodem
>>> batch.  You should be able to transfer binary files with no problem.
>>>
>>Are you sure that Mex 1.14 (I haven't used it in ages), does Ymodem,
>>rather than Xmodem-1K?  There is a big difference between the two; True
>
>I'm quite sure it doesn't do Ymodem. I've tried it on several boards, and
>with Telix. It will talk to Xmodem, or in batch mode to Modem7, and it can
>sometimes be coaxed into using 1k blocks.
>--

   mex 114 will work with some implementations of ymodem, particularly those
recognise xmodem-1k.  there are a lot that do this...

   you need to use the 'rk' command when downloading and the 'sk' command
when uploading.  mex still treats the blocks as 128 bytes, but handles
them 8 blocks at a time.  of course, to get the remote system to recognise
it as ymodem, you need to do a 'stat crc on' at the command prompt.

  of course, it won't work with 'true' ymodem, as defined by mr. forsberg.
that's only a handicap if you plan to use dsz on the remote system.

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!