[comp.os.cpm] BBS software for Kaypro "8" ??

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (02/15/91)

Hi, folks,

I have a Kaypro "8" (was a K-2, now 4 mhz, 2x780K, 1x390K), a spare phone line,
and a need to set up a low-end BBS.

The BBS probably needs a few topic areas, and the ability for users to upload
(possibly non-plain-text, eg MS-DOS WordPerfect) files for downloading by other
users.  2400 bps minimum, it would be nice to support faster.

What CP/M BBS software would be best, and where would I go to get it???

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

"If they call it Word Perfect, why is it in release 5.1???"

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.131608.2120@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:

>I have a Kaypro "8" (was a K-2, now 4 mhz, 2x780K, 1x390K), a spare phone line,
>and a need to set up a low-end BBS.

 [stuff about what he wants in a BBS]

>What CP/M BBS software would be best, and where would I go to get it???
>
>	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA

Ever hear of Citadel? It was one of the earliest BBS s/w pkgs. for CP/M.
However, do NOT try the Citadel 2.11 you will find lying around. The BBS
s/w was upgraded by several people. You need BDS C to compile it because
you need to work out the serial/modem routines... the good news is that
Kaypro inserts for this are available.

The derivatives that work well are:

Asgard-80 (I ran this before moving onto Asgard-86 for MSDOS)
        It can be found on Hotel at 916-927-7680 in the Asgard-80 area.

SacCit (Sacramento Citadel) which can also be found at Hotel or Babel

Babel - Can be found at author's BBS running on a TRS-2 CP/M machine
        at 206-363-8969. He probably has SacCit and Asgard-80 in the
        Babel Hackin'  area.

If you are not familiar with room-based systems (these are). The areas
contain BOTH msgs and files for transfer. Slick for saving space in
coding with a small TPA.

BTW, Asgard-80 will NETWORK into CitadelNet with a connection to an
Asgard-86 system that is on the net.  :)

Happy hacking :)

Sysop
Lunatic Fringe BBS
919-571-7736
Running Asgard-86
Member Citadel Net
FIDO 1:151/130
WWIV @9958

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (02/18/91)

In article <59577@aurs01.UUCP> luce@aurps1.UUCP (J. Luce) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.131608.2120@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>>
>>I have a Kaypro "8" (was a K-2, now 4 mhz, 2x780K, 1x390K), a spare phone line,
>>and a need to set up a low-end BBS.
>

>Ever hear of Citadel? It was one of the earliest BBS s/w pkgs. for CP/M.
>However, do NOT try the Citadel 2.11 you will find lying around. The BBS
>s/w was upgraded by several people. You need BDS C to compile it because
>you need to work out the serial/modem routines... the good news is that
>Kaypro inserts for this are available.
>
>Babel - Can be found at author's BBS running on a TRS-2 CP/M machine
>        at 206-363-8969. He probably has SacCit and Asgard-80 in the
>        Babel Hackin'  area.
>
>If you are not familiar with room-based systems (these are). The areas
>contain BOTH msgs and files for transfer. Slick for saving space in
>coding with a small TPA.

   another plus to running Babel is that the serial routines Bob used
for the TRS2 are very similar to what will work with kaypro
serial ports.  all you have to do is change the port addresses
and you're all set.

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - but don't quote me on that....

American Oil Company motto - Bend over, We'll pump!!!