[comp.os.cpm] ZCPR.

umlecla3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brian Leclair) (09/11/90)

Im new to CP/M systems, and i've seen alot of references to ZCPR, can anyone
give me a brief description of exactly what it is?

Umlecla3@CCU.Umanitoba.Ca

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep11.021851.9985@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umlecla3@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brian Leclair) writes:
> Im new to CP/M systems, and i've seen alot of references to ZCPR, can anyone
> give me a brief description of exactly what it is?

Sure, ZCPR is a replacement CCP (Console Command Processor) for CP/M systems.
It's difficult to grasp if you're not familiar with CP/M and how it's
structured, so I'd suggest that you find a quick descriptive article on it
(CP/M that is) to see how the rest will sit with you.  CP/M has access to
basically a 64Kbyte address space using a Z80 (That's where the Z comes from
in ZCPR) and parts of the operating system (CP/M) use various parts of it.
There is the BIOS, BDOS, CCP and TPA. . .
BIOS is the routines that allow interface to the particular hardware you've
got.  They come with the machine (hopefully) and are written by the computer's
manufacturer, originally.  You may replace this with specialty code if you can
find something for your machine still available.
BDOS are simple routines used for manditory functions.  They are all standard
by number & use so any CP/M program can call them to get something common
accomplished.  You can replace it with some thing like ZRDOS or ZSDOS I
believe.
CCP is what interfaces the User (you) to the BDOS & other things.  So ZCPRx
really is the front end of choice for many users since it's newer, faster,
nicer and generally more capable of keeping you sane while operating the micro
at hand.  It's can have many things in it depending upon which version you
have.  It's up to 3.4 now & you can buy an auto-install version (NZCOM) from
many places (ALPHA, etc.) for about $69.00 US.  Some of the features you may
find valuable are: Named directories, Standard Video Terminal Capabilities,
Aliasing and Shells (allows history of command line inputs & lots of other
labour saving features), multiple command lines & so much other stuph that it'l
spin you out.  It's definitely worth 69 bucks.  I understand NZCOM is so simple
to use that there is no excuse to run ZCPR over the stock CP/M CCP (except for
poverty or apathy)  you can also have the older versions (3.3) for free if you
can slog thru alot of system programming (tedious).
Any ways,  That's probably more than you wanted to know except that the TPA is
the Transient Program Area, Basically it's what is left over that you run
applications in. (Wordstar, etc)
Good luck,  go & get some issues of The Computer Journal or Microcornucopia if
you want to go further.

Ronn

ravn@imada.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) (02/13/91)

Is there anyone who is willing to summarize the pro/cons of ZCPR?  I
have grown kind of tired of CCP (CP/M 2.2) and would like to get some
opinions before starting the big download/compile show.

Thanx.

Thorbjorn Ravn Andersen
ravn@imada.dk

x005rh@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rick Huff) (02/14/91)

I would also (as a new CP/M user) like to have some information on what ZCPR is
and where I can download it.  Thanks.

Rick Huff
x005rh@tamvm1

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (02/14/91)

	Greetings. Even though I have been running ZCPR (3.3) for
	only a few days, I can say that I will never go back - even
	if you pay me. :-)

	I downloaded it from Simtel20 but if there is enough demand,
	I can post it here (anyone comment?) I also downloaded
	a whole bunch (2+MB) worth of utilities - things like
	editors, shells, utilities, and a real nice alias
	program (ALIAS11.LBR) that can do wonders...

	It's very simple to install, although I had to NOT follow
	directions to get it working ;-)

	YOU NEED A K10 PLUS A HARD DISK (the more the better)

	Advantages?

	1) path works much better - even if I'm on C0: I can still
	   run anything like FLPYFMT.COM without having to first
	   go to A0:.... With the Alias program, you can run anything
	   you wish.

	2) No need for NSWEEP. ZCPR 3.3 comes with Zfiler which is a
	   superior program. It also allows macros and such. For example,
	   I can point at a file and run WordStar on it without exiting!
	   (Had to write an alias but what the heck :-)

	3) you can name your "users". For example, A0: is called "A0:BASE"
	   So, I can type "dir base:" or "dir A0:" and get the same thing.

	4) built in copy (cp) command. Same format as PIP but don't have
	   to run it as a com file

	5) let me explore it more and download more utilities from my
	   UNIX account to my K10.... then I'll let you know.

	I think that it will be better if I post ZCPR 3.3, uuencoded,
	on this newsgroup. I don't think it's a good idea if a lot of
	people start logging into Simtel when it's alrady so loaded.
	(Besides, most of the time you can't anyways so many might just
	 give up.... and have to suffer with CP/M 2.2 ;-) ;-) ;-)

	Take care.

	P.S. Will keep you all up to date.

"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 10 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz  "... a Jedi does it with a mind trick... " ;-)
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (02/14/91)

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

> 	Greetings. Even though I have been running ZCPR (3.3) for
> 	only a few days, I can say that I will never go back - even
> 	if you pay me. :-)

Amen, brother!  I run Z33 plus NovaDOS on my Dynabyte DB8/1 and
my Ampro Little Board.  Great software!!!  Plus you have source
code if you want to extend its capabilities which are already
great.

> 	YOU NEED A K10 PLUS A HARD DISK (the more the better)

I'm running it on an S100 box with 20 megs, and it works like a
champ.  Ran it with 10 before but didn't have many problems.  Had
to be a little conscientious with my management...

> 	Advantages?

Nothing but!!!

> 	1) path works much better - even if I'm on C0: I can still
> 	   run anything like FLPYFMT.COM without having to first
> 	   go to A0:.... With the Alias program, you can run anything
> 	   you wish.

Yes, paths are probably the most notable feature of ZCPR33.  And
since you have source code, you can make it as big or small as
you need (I believe it's all in the ENVironment discriptor file).
However, if you plan to have a LARGE number of aliases, don't
bother with ALIAS.  Use ARUNZ.  ALIAS creates small .COM
executable files for each alias, and with my hard disk using
questionably large allocation units, 8K, they can add up fast.
You have all your aliases in one file that you locate at the end
of your path called ALIAS.CMD, which is nothing more than a text
file with prototypes for your command lines you wish to execute.
Regardez:

poll    a5:ccico -x66 -s$1 -f$2 -l

which tells my system to do a UUCP poll (I'll explain about UUCP
for CP/M later) using the first and second arguments as 3-letter
system name and a letter for its script (which can be blank or a
letter from A to Z).  Plus it has other neat capabilities whereby
you can get at information in the environment discriptor, like
the CPR location, BDOS location, whatever.  Plus it can parse
named or DU: type drive addressing.  With a little bit of
ingenuity, I have made PIP, a typical non-ZCPR system utility, to
work with ZCPR33 (and you have to have at LEAST ZCPR33 in order
to use ARUNZ).  It's available at SIMTEL20.  I _EXTREMELY_ highly
recommend it.  Yet I still think ALIAS has its place.  You can
use an alias to tell the system to use a customized startup
sequence if you didn't hardcode it (which is one thing I'm going
to change because I hardcoded the startup sequence, like a
dolt...).  And if you tell it to run a program call "STARTUP",
you can create a specialized alias that suits your needs, and you
can easily change it if your needs change and you don't need to
re-hardcode your command line.

> 	2) No need for NSWEEP. ZCPR 3.3 comes with Zfiler which is a
> 	   superior program. It also allows macros and such. For example,
> 	   I can point at a file and run WordStar on it without exiting!
> 	   (Had to write an alias but what the heck :-)

Another great program.  Get it as well.  I have used it zillions
of times and cannot complain at all!!!!

> 	3) you can name your "users". For example, A0: is called "A0:BASE"
> 	   So, I can type "dir base:" or "dir A0:" and get the same thing.

Plus you can have several different named directories on your
disk.  And, like the path, it can be as small or big as you need.
My sytem has 28 entries.  I upgraded from 14 when I was running a
10, and 14 was too SMALL, if you can believe that!  Now, I have
room to expand if need be.  Same went with the path, only I
upgraded to 10 elements from 5.

> 	4) built in copy (cp) command. Same format as PIP but don't have
> 	   to run it as a com file

That's optional.  It's a great facility to have available.  You
don't need to reload PIP every time you want to do this.

> 	5) let me explore it more and download more utilities from my
> 	   UNIX account to my K10.... then I'll let you know.

Have at it!  You won't regret it!!!!  I speak from experience.

> 	I think that it will be better if I post ZCPR 3.3, uuencoded,
> 	on this newsgroup. I don't think it's a good idea if a lot of
> 	people start logging into Simtel when it's alrady so loaded.
> 	(Besides, most of the time you can't anyways so many might just
> 	 give up.... and have to suffer with CP/M 2.2 ;-) ;-) ;-)

Word of caution:  It is EXTREMELY huge.  Something like 130K
total.  It's available at a BBS I call locally (uploaded it
myself).  It's at Omni BBS, (916) 386-2521, in the room CP/M
ZCPR3/ZCPR33, I think (it's a Citadel-type system).  My handle
there is IJ if you want to shmooze with me there.

> 	Take care.
>
>       P.S. Will keep you all up to date.

Would appreciate that.  (grinsmilegrin)

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (02/15/91)

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:
>	I think that it will be better if I post ZCPR 3.3, uuencoded,
>	on this newsgroup. I don't think it's a good idea if a lot of

I think that it would be an even better idea if you did not use up available
bandwidth posting files that are commonly available on CP/M BBS's around the
country, although your intentions are admirable.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) (02/15/91)

In article <91363@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip
Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>	YOU NEED A K10 PLUS A HARD DISK (the more the better)

(more stuff deleted)

Are you saying that ZCPR will ONLY work on a Kaypro with a hard disk, or is it
capable of running on non-Kaypro, non-hard disk systems? (Such as a DEC
Rainbow)

+---------< Eric A. Rasmussen - Mr. Neat-O (tm) >---------+ +< Email Address >+
|   A real engineer never reads the instructions first.   | | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|   (They figure out how it works by playing with it.)    | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ +-----------------+
                     ((( In Stereo Where Available )))

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (02/15/91)

In article <91363@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) writes:

>	I think that it will be better if I post ZCPR 3.3, uuencoded,
>	on this newsgroup. I don't think it's a good idea if a lot of
>	people start logging into Simtel when it's alrady so loaded.
>	(Besides, most of the time you can't anyways so many might just
>	 give up.... and have to suffer with CP/M 2.2 ;-) ;-) ;-)

	Greetings. That's why I said "I think"... :-)

	Due to the negative response (for damn good reasons, might
	I add) I will refrain from doing that... :-)

	Take care.

	P.S. If, however, someone can not get to Simtel or a BBS how
	is one supposed to get these files? Perhaps I should tell
	people that if your want a file, I can uuencode it and send it
	directly to them... :-)

rzh@ICF.LLNL.GOV (R. Hanscom) (02/15/91)

In <91363@unix.cis.pitt.edu> fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz)
writes:

>  stuff deleted
>
> I think that it will be better if I post ZCPR 3.3, uuencoded,
> on this newsgroup. I don't think it's a good idea if a lot of
> people start logging into Simtel when it's alrady so loaded.
>
>  more stuff deleted

Pleeeeeeeeeze don't do us any favors.  If large "mail/code/whatever" files
start showing up on this feed, Simtel will drop the mail feed that many of
us depend on.  Leave it in the Simtel20 archives, and don't worry about
"the load", or set it up on another site with anonymous ftp access.  Don't
get me wrong....I'd dearly love to get my hands on the complete set of
ZCPR stuff (part of the problem with ZCPR is knowing what is necessary and
what is not!), but not at the expense of the Simtel mail feed.

            roger             icf!rzh@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                                rzh@phoenix.ocf.llnl.gov
                                    hanscom1@llnl.gov

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) (02/27/91)

x005rh@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rick Huff) writes:

> I would also (as a new CP/M user) like to have some information on what ZCPR
> and where I can download it.  Thanks.
>
> Rick Huff
> x005rh@tamvm1

ZCPR is a replacement for the CP/M CCP which provides a variety of
improvements such as a command search path, named directories, a very open
user area structure, command aliases (substitute small commands for big ones
or groups of commands), multiple commands on a command line, standard CP/M
terminal interface, if, else, endif structure in batch command processing
and much MUCH more.  You can download vs. 3.3 from my bbs listed below, or
from any of the Znodes around the country.  Znode 3 is one of the primary
sources for ZCPR and related software.  The number is 617-965-7259.  Zcpr
3.4 is a commercial product ($70) but well worth the investment since it
saves the considerable time and frustration of assembling all the elements
of ZCPR 3.3.  There is also a magazine called The Computer Journal which
has lots of excellent articles on ZCPR and CP/M.  Subscription is $18 a year
and may be obtained from TCJ, P.O. Box 12, S. Plainfield, NJ  07080-0012.
Info on TCJ and on ZCPR34 is extensively available on Znode 3, the number of
which is above.

                              Lindsay Haisley

"Everything works if you let it!"
 ---  Travis J. Redfish
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
uucp: austex!roadhog@emx.utexas.edu  OR  roadhog%austex.uucp@emx.utexas.edu
 BBS: (512) 259-1261 (Z-Node 77 - aka - Kaypro Club of Austin)

dave@ips.oz.au (Dave Horsfall) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb14.192505.14099@wpi.WPI.EDU>
    ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
| >	YOU NEED A K10 PLUS A HARD DISK (the more the better)
|
| Are you saying that ZCPR will ONLY work on a Kaypro with a hard disk, or is it
| capable of running on non-Kaypro, non-hard disk systems? (Such as a DEC
| Rainbow)

Works fine on my (Aus-made) Microbee, with twin floppies.  Or are we talking
about a strange version of ZCPR?

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)         VK2KFU @ VK2RWI.NSW.AUS.OC
dave@ips.OZ.AU                  ...munnari!ips.OZ.AU!dave

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb14.192505.14099@wpi.WPI.EDU>
    ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) writes:
| Are you saying that ZCPR will ONLY work on a Kaypro with a hard disk, or is it
| capable of running on non-Kaypro, non-hard disk systems? (Such as a DEC
| Rainbow)

While running ZCPR on a Rainbow is quite nice, it's probably not that good
an idea. The Rainbow is primarily a CP/M-86 machine with a Z80 sidecar; ZCPR
only knows how to run Z80 programs, so you have to be willing to limit
yourself to those if you want to run it on your Rainbow. I gave up on that
because the I/O byte didn't seem to work correctly; I couldn't get, e.g.,
generic CP/M Kermit running on the Z80.

However, it does make a fairly nice setup; the Rainbow has a huge TPA
because the operating system runs on the 8086 and therefore doesn't show
up in the Z80's memory space.

Caveat: I was running ZCPR 1.something or other that I had severely hacked
over. I don't know about running ZCPR 3 on the Rainbow.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633