[comp.os.cpm] Kaypro 4 and hard disks

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (03/08/91)

wlhadley@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (William L. Hadley) writes:

>Hello all!  I have some questions about the Kaypro 4 and hard disks.
>
>1) Is it possible to connect a hard disk to a Kaypro 4?
Yes, but...

>If yes...
>2) Does it require a special type of hard disk, or will a standard IBM
>drive work?

An ST-506 type interface is required.

>3) Does it require a special disk controller cable?

Yes, and an interface card and controller, also.  What you will need in
the hardware and software line can be obtained from:
              Emerald Microware
              P.O. Box 1726
              Beaverton OR 97075
              503/641-8088    (talk to Brian)
They sell a kit that includes the interface card, controller, and
software (you provide the drive) for $245 approximately.  The drive can
be up to 40 mb.

To make the drive cold bootable, you will need to purchase and install a
new ROM.  Emerald sells the KayPLUS ROM for $69.95, or you can get the
well known Advent TurboROM for about $35 from Chuck Stafford,
916/483-0312.  The ROMs offer some other advantages also.

You WILL want to install a fan in the box!

>4) Do I need special software to format it?  If yes, then where can I get the
>software (I haven't looked too closely at the CPM archives on Simtel yet)?

Yes.  Obtainable from the same source that you got some of the other
things that you are going to need to buy.  See above.

>5) Is there a limitation to the size of the hard disk?

That depends upon just how much money you want to spend.

>6) Can the harddisk be bootable?

See above.

>7) Will I have to give up one of the floppy drives?

Not necessarily, if you install a half high drive.  Definitely, with a
full height.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com