[comp.os.cpm] Small Comm Program

pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) (03/11/91)

Hello everyone _ I want to know the smalles comm programs for CP/M.  All
I need are terminal capabilities, ASCII capture, and Xmodem.  The best
one will be shoehorned into 63K of EPROM which is why size is a premium.

proppi@veeble.han.de (Paul Lenz) (03/13/91)

In article <aa1Ly2w163w@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) writes:
>Hello everyone _ I want to know the smalles comm programs for CP/M.  All
>I need are terminal capabilities, ASCII capture, and Xmodem.  The best
>one will be shoehorned into 63K of EPROM which is why size is a premium.

My terminal program is SMODEM.COM with Xmodem (CRC).
I have the source code, and you can delete everything you don't need.

Proppi

proppi@veeble.han.de  ...!unido!horga!veeble!proppi
Paul Lenz    Friesenstrasse 22    D-3000 Hannover 1
=--> Remember: Rock'n'Roll and CP/M never die! <--=

zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Ross Alford) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar12.172759.6948@veeble.han.de> proppi@veeble.han.de (Paul Lenz) writes:
>In article <aa1Ly2w163w@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> pevans@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Phillip Evans) writes:
>>Hello everyone _ I want to know the smalles comm programs for CP/M.  All
>>I need are terminal capabilities, ASCII capture, and Xmodem.  The best
>>one will be shoehorned into 63K of EPROM which is why size is a premium.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!
This is CP/M, not Mess-Dos.  I've never seen ANY comms program for CP/M
bigger than about 40K or so, and that is MEX1.14, which does all sorts
of tricks.  I suspect that just about any program you pick will fit on a
64K ROM.  I'd suggest trying MDM7XX, for which the full source is (or
was, ca 1984) available on SIMTEL.  You can always cut out things you
don't want.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

--
Ross A. Alford
Department of Zoology                      Internet: zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

rrezaian@austral.UUCP (Russell Rezaian) (03/19/91)

	Just to throw my own 2d in, if you are looking for term programs
for CP/M that you can readily find source to, you might want to try Kermit.
I know the source is availabe, that is how it is distributed.
	I have the 4.0 source, and I have modified it to work with some of
my stranger machines, so it is VERY flexible that way.
	The only problem I can see, and this applies for most of the other
programs too, I think, is that most of the CP/M programs that I am familiar
with don't maintain the strict segregation of code and data space that is
essential if you are going to run the prog off of the ROM.  You may be
forced to move the entire routine to RAM as part of your startup, and then
page the ROM out.  The only other alternative is going through hundreds of
K of assembler source trying to movde all of the data stores to wherever in
your memory map you have some RAM, not my idea of fun.
	Good Luck!
--
|  Russell Rezaian		|  amiganet.chi.il.us!austral!rrezaian	|