[comp.os.cpm] Help with Kaypro terminal emulation

casey@asi.com (Casey Bahr) (03/21/91)

Sorry if this belongs in the FAQ file.

I'm trying to use a modem communications program on my Kaypro 10.
It appears to be a derivative of MDM730 (sic?).  The on-line
documentation, however, doesn't give me a clue as to what type of
terminal it's emulating, which is where I'm having trouble.  Somewhere
else in other documentation I remember seeing that the Kaypro emulates
a Lear-Siegler adm3a, so that's how I've tried setting the termcap
on the Unix (Sun) machine I'm trying to connect to.  Everything
except vi seems to be working ok (TERM and TERMCAP in my environment
look right for an adm3a).  In vi I get a garbled screen that
makes editing pretty difficult.  I remember long ago using a Kaypro II
and I think the same comm. pgm., but I don't remember how I got around
this problem.

I'm pretty illiterate in this area, so I'm hoping someone in this
group can enlighten me or provide some heuristics to getting the
termcap set properly.  Or maybe direct me to a different comm. package.
I do have a printed document for SUPRTERM, which says it emulates an
adm3a, but I can't find that software on any of my disks.

Thanks in advance,

Casey Bahr
casey@asi.com | ogicse!adaptive!casey | uunet!adaptive!casey
Adaptive Solutions, Inc., 1400 NW Compton Dr. Suite 340, Beaverton, OR 97006
VOICE: (503) 690.1236 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ FAX: (503) 690.1249

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (03/23/91)

casey@asi.com (Casey Bahr) writes:

>I'm trying to use a modem communications program on my Kaypro 10.
>It appears to be a derivative of MDM730 (sic?).  The on-line
>documentation, however, doesn't give me a clue as to what type of
>terminal it's emulating, which is where I'm having trouble.  Somewhere
>else in other documentation I remember seeing that the Kaypro emulates
>a Lear-Siegler adm3a, so that's how I've tried setting the termcap
>on the Unix (Sun) machine I'm trying to connect to.  Everything
>except vi seems to be working ok (TERM and TERMCAP in my environment
>look right for an adm3a).  In vi I get a garbled screen that
>makes editing pretty difficult.  I remember long ago using a Kaypro II
>and I think the same comm. pgm., but I don't remember how I got around
>this problem.
>
>I'm pretty illiterate in this area, so I'm hoping someone in this
>group can enlighten me or provide some heuristics to getting the
>termcap set properly.  Or maybe direct me to a different comm. package.
>I do have a printed document for SUPRTERM, which says it emulates an
>adm3a, but I can't find that software on any of my disks.

To my knowledge, all of the public domain communication packages use overlays
to tailor them to a particular computer.  Therefore, if your MDM730, or
whatever, runs on your KP-10 there is a very high probability that it has the
Kaypro's ADM-3 emulation built in.

If it would be useful to you, I could uue Superterm and send it off to you.
However, in my opinion it is a less desirable program.  Of the old standbys,
my personal preference would be for MEX114.

                                                 - don

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

snelson@ptdcell0.intel.com (Shannon Nelson) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.182503.201@simasd.uucp> donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) writes:
>To my knowledge, all of the public domain communication packages use overlays
>to tailor them to a particular computer.  Therefore, if your MDM730, or
>whatever, runs on your KP-10 there is a very high probability that it has the
>Kaypro's ADM-3 emulation built in.

The Kaypro uses a superset of the adm3a terminal commands.  The kp
enhancements make it much easier to live with, as the adm3a is
rather simple minded.  To help a little, here's the kaypro termcap
file that I've been using for several years.  Converting it to
terminfo is easy enough with captoinfo.

ky|kaypro:am:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:\
	:le=^H:bs:cm=\E=%+ %+ :cl=1^Z:co#80:ho=^^:li#24:ma=^K^P:nd=^L:up=^K:\
	:dl=\ER:al=\EE:\
	:kd=^J:ku=^K:kl=^H:kr=^L:\
	:ce=^X:cd=^W:\
	:dC=3:dT=3:

Shannon Nelson              Portland Technology Development, Intel
snelson@ptd.intel.com       (503) 642-8149	I don't speak for Intel
                  Parents can't afford to be squeemish.