[comp.os.cpm] CP/M Sector Interleave

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) (03/29/91)

Can anyone suggest a method or program to me by which I might optimize the
sector interleave on a hard drive on a CP/M machine?  I have recently
installed a Seagate ST-125 (20 meg) hd in my Kaypro 10 and although the
drive is speedy, the system seems to run quite sluggishly.  The format
program (ADVFMT.COM) allows a choice of interleaves, however I'm reluctant
to back off and reformat the drive (a job of several hours) until I know
the correct value.

I would also appreciate help from anyone who can give me precice definitions
of the terms skew and interleave.  I was under the impression that these
terms were the same, referring to the physical spacing between succcessive
logical sectors needed to optimize access times, however some of my recent
reading has led me to believe that these terms are not interchangable.

"Everything works if you let it!"
 --- Travis J. Redfish
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
uucp: austex!roadhog@emx.utexas.edu
 BBS: 512-259-1261 (Znode 77 - aka - Kaypro Club of Austin)

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (03/31/91)

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) writes:
>I would also appreciate help from anyone who can give me precice definitions
>of the terms skew and interleave.  I was under the impression that these
>terms were the same, referring to the physical spacing between succcessive
>logical sectors needed to optimize access times, however some of my recent
>reading has led me to believe that these terms are not interchangable.

It is my understanding that proper usage speaks to interleave on a disk
surface, and skew speaks to the positional relationship of corresponding
sectors on different surfaces.  That is, interleave is intended to allow for
processing time that the controller needs after reading one sector and before
reading the next.  Skew, somewhat similarly, is intended to account for the
processing time that the controller needs when switching read heads.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com