[Message #17896 on Fog's BB #1] Posted: 09/11/90 at 10:43 pm
  From: JIM SWITZ
    To: ALL USERS
 About: Irv Hoff

To Whom It May Concern:

   I just saw an old friend of mine tonight - Irv Hoff.  For those of you
who've known Irv, you know that he's meant a lot to our BBS hobbies and
addictions.  From the earliest days of CP/M teleommunications, Irv was there,
with MDM740, IMP, BYE5, KMD and so many other applications and utilities vital
to us in those days.  Some were original, others were built from the work of
others.  And, like many of the pioneers of shared software (NOT shareware
software), Irv released his source code freely, with comments and assistance.
Although he took fierce pride in his work, and was occasionally the focus of
some controversy, he was always wiling to help others and to learn from others
how to improve his own work.  Moreover, Irv actually *encouraged* voice
contact at almost any hour - an extreme rarity among hackers. Much of what Irv
has done has survived to today - buried in countless DOS applications and
utilities as algorithms.

   Anyway, it appears that Irv is not long for this world, quite frankly, and
is suffering from advanced colon cancer.  I was shocked, actually, to see him
show up to tonight's PRACSA meeting.  Judging from his recent messages on the
PRACSA board, I didn't expect to see him again, ever.  He's looking mighty
weak and thin these days, but seemed in relatively good shape, considering,
and brought his wife to meet us.  Recent messages from Irv indicated he
thought he might not see October, much less Christmas, but maybe he's got a
few weeks' reprieve.

   So, for those who know or know of Irv, I thought you should be aware of the
current situation.  I'm sure that some contact from his friends would be most
appreciated now, while he can still deal with the outside world.  He finds it
very hard to even get to his BBS out in the radio room these days, but DOES
check in when he can.

   Let's use the communication pathways that Irv pioneered to get in touch, at
least once, and let him know we're here, and that he's remembered and
appreciated, ok?  His BBS number (PRACSA) is 415-948-2513 in Los Atos Hills,
CA, and can be reached via CAPAL if you use PC Pursuit.
        Regards,
                Jim

The CP/M community will surely miss Irv, who has produced a vast collection
of excellent Public Domain software. I hope and pray that the work he has
done will be with us for many years, and that his memory never fades away.

	dg
--
Our hope is in the name of the LORD, who hath made Heaven and Earth.

andy@disk.UUCP (andy) (11/06/90)

I had no idea Irv was ill. He was a _tremendous_ help to me years ago, when I
was just starting my microcomputer days (via Morrow MD-2). His series of
MDMxxx overlays made it possible for me to get online and expand my knowledge
of telecommunications. Several times we "chatted" on CompuServe; more recently
I had the privilege of giving _him_ advice in my capacity as a Sysop of CIS's
Consumer Electronics Forum. He's always been an exceedingly gracious, tireless
gentleman. I hope with all my heart he can beat his illness.

ac959@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Ed Grey) (04/06/91)

I am unhappy to relay the following message, which I download
from the Drexel Hill RCP/M.  Irv Hoff was one of a select circle
of CP/M gurus.  He authored much of the software that we CP/Mers
use on a regular basis.  Even though he has most recently been
involved in IBM, he will be missed by the CP/M community.

                      *********************

 #: 8904 S9/ Potpourri
    04-Apr-91  15:10:45
 Sb: Irv Hoff has passed
 Fm: Sysop John Deakin 76702,310
 To: All

I'm sorry to report that Irv Hoff died peacefully at home
yesterday, after a long and gallant battle with cancer.  His
wife, Arlene Hoff, called my wife in Seattle to give the news,
but left no other information.  I am attempting to call her, but
I doubt seriously that I will be able to get through.  I'm sure
cards and/or flowers would be appreciated.

  Arlene Hoff
  12130 Foothill Lane
  Los Altos Hills, CA 94022

I will advise if I hear anything further.

--
 Ed Grey  \*\  Sysop of The Grey Matter BBS & RCP/M 213-971-6260
 P.O. Box #2186  \*\  Bitnet: ac959%cleveland.freenet.edu@cunyvm

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (04/09/91)

In article <9104060410.AA08436@cwns2.INS.CWRU.Edu> ac959@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>I am unhappy to relay the following message, which I download
>
>I'm sorry to report that Irv Hoff died peacefully at home
>yesterday, after a long and gallant battle with cancer.  His
>wife, Arlene Hoff, called my wife in Seattle to give the news,

Strange.  I saw almost this identical post *months* ago.  Now I wonder
if this is to be another 'urban legend'?

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?