[comp.os.cpm] Finding System Software.

bie@solman.mlb.semi.harris.com (Ben Eaton) (03/30/91)

     Hello!

          I have come across a "ZORBA" portable computer, that is in good
     working order but there is no systems disk to go with the unit.  I
     know the following things about this unit:

          -  It was manufactured by:   GEMINI ELECTRONICS
                                       130 Baywood Ave.
                                       Longwood, FL  32750

          -  It is a Z80 based machine.

          -  It has two 784K TELCOM 5.24" disk drives.

          -  It uses a CPM operating system.

          If anyone out there knows where I can aquire a systems disk ( I am
      willing to pay for it ) or knows how I could reconstruct a systems disk
      I would like to here from you.

      Ben I. Eaton
      (407) 727-0255

          P.S.

                    I have already call the manufacturer and they were no
                help at all.

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (04/06/91)

bie@solman.mlb.semi.harris.com (Ben Eaton) writes:

>      Hello!
>
>           I have come across a "ZORBA" portable computer, that is in good
>      working order but there is no systems disk to go with the unit.  I
>      know the following things about this unit:
>
>           If anyone out there knows where I can aquire a systems disk ( I am
>       willing to pay for it ) or knows how I could reconstruct a systems disk
>       I would like to here from you.

  I used to have one of these things and can supply the operating
system.

  Lay a mailing address on me . . .

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

bill@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com (Bill Pechter) (04/10/91)

In article <siXXZ1w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) writes:
>bie@solman.mlb.semi.harris.com (Ben Eaton) writes:
>
>>           I have come across a "ZORBA" portable computer, that is in good
>>      working order but there is no systems disk to go with the unit.  I
>>      know the following things about this unit:
>>

>  I used to have one of these things and can supply the operating
>system.
>
>  Lay a mailing address on me . . .

I also have one (dead).  Anyone know of a good parts source?

Bill

--
Bill Pechter                       | "The postmaster always pings twice."
Pyramid Technology                 | bill@pyrite.nj.pyramid.com

Charles.Cotham@urchin.fidonet.org (Charles Cotham) (04/25/91)

David,

   Drop me a note at the address below with the following information
and I will see if I can get you going on your Osborne 1. I need to know
what your screen says when you power up the machine ex. OCC Rom 1.44 or
whatever. Also look in the lower right hand corner next to the BATT
connector and see if there is a small 1/4 inch composite vidio connector
like would be on a VCR. Also let me know what type of software you are
interested in. See you later..
                           Charles Cotham
                           2205 Lilac St.
                           Nederland, Tx.
                                77627

schwartz@liszt.CES.CWRU.Edu (David Schwartz) (04/25/91)

Last week I bought an antique OSBORNE 1 computer.  It seems to be in
good working order but I have no system software.
I'm also looking for applications software.

No, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

Any OSBORNE owners out there who can help?

ac999303@umbc5.umbc.edu (ac999303) (04/25/91)

schwartz@liszt.CES.CWRU.Edu (David Schwartz) writes:

>Last week I bought an antique OSBORNE 1 computer.  It seems to be in
>good working order but I have no system software.

I'm in the same boat.  A friend gave me a Kaypro 4 several days ago,
sans any diskettes.  I have the manuals for the box, plus those for
CP/M 2.0 (addendums to 2.2), CBASIC, S-BASIC, MS BASIC, Kaypro WORD,
and Microplan.

>I'm also looking for applications software.

Me too.  I am not sure of the legalities involved, but I would like to
acquire the software for which I already have the manuals.  I am
familiar with the process of FTP to obtain public domain programs, but
they don't do me much good w/o the o/s to run them.

>No, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

Me neither.  I also got a quite nice daisy wheel printer (which is
currently being put to use off a spare serial port on my PC/AT)
so I (or my sister) could use it for word processing, and I have a
spare 1200 baud modem that I can plug into the Kaypro's serial port.
I'm sure I can find a PD VT-100 emulator.

It's certainly a curiosity that will remain on the shelf next to my
old Apple ][.

>Any OSBORNE owners out there who can help?

Any KAYPRO owners out there who can help?

Thanks in advance for all those E-mails I expect to receive!   ;-)

Peter Johansson
ac999303@umbc3.umbc.edu
...uunet!umbc3!ac999303
EE240133@umbc2.BITNET

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (04/27/91)

For David Schwartz:  Tried to send you e-mail, but it bounced.  Think I can
help you.  Please send me a valid e-mail address.

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr25.151848.21032@umbc3.umbc.edu>, ac999303@umbc5.umbc.edu (ac999303) writes:
> schwartz@liszt.CES.CWRU.Edu (David Schwartz) writes:
>
>>Last week I bought an antique OSBORNE 1 computer.  It seems to be in
>>good working order but I have no system software.
>
> I'm in the same boat.  A friend gave me a Kaypro 4 several days ago,
> sans any diskettes.  I have the manuals for the box, plus those for
> CP/M 2.0 (addendums to 2.2), CBASIC, S-BASIC, MS BASIC, Kaypro WORD,
> and Microplan.

I have some Kaypro II boot disks and system software.  I don't think that
they will work but I could make copies of them for you or other Kaypro users
out there.

I might have some Osborne 1 boot disks laying around somewhere.  The question
is where.  Send me a note in a few days and I will have hopefully found them.
--
Blessed         Torin/Darren Stalder/Wolf
   Be!          Internet: dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu