[comp.os.cpm] CPM to DOS exchanger.

ayers@asc.slb.com (Debbie Ayers) (05/09/91)

    CPM file  to DOS file exchanger::

    I've heard rumors that such a program exists so
    I thought I would ask the experts. The problem
    is I have several documents that need to be
    taken over to a DOS machine. Both have disk
    drives but neither have connections to the
    outside world.

    I'd appreciate any insight you could give in
    this endeavor.

                            --Deb

Debra L. Ayers                   Internet: ayers@asc.slb.com
                                 UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!asc.slb.com!ayers
                                 Work    : (512) 331-3274
                                 Home    : (512) 473-8989

--

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (05/09/91)

ayers@asc.slb.com (Debbie Ayers) writes:

>     CPM file  to DOS file exchanger::
>
>     I've heard rumors that such a program exists so
>     I thought I would ask the experts. The problem
>     is I have several documents that need to be
>     taken over to a DOS machine. Both have disk
>     drives but neither have connections to the
>     outside world.
>
>     I'd appreciate any insight you could give in
>     this endeavor.

  I use a package called UNIFORM-PC.  It's a product of MicroSolutions,
132 West Lincoln Hwy.,  DeKalb, Illinois  60155  Phone 815-756-3411.
I supports 200+ CP/M formats and will work on any ibm-compatible machine.
If you'll let me know what CP/M unit you're dealing with I can check
thelist and let you know if it's supported.

   Dave McCrady                 |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
+1 403-454-4054 (voice)         |  Disclaimer? Who needs a disclaimer?
+1 403-454-6093 (public USENET) |  I >own< the joint.

rrezaian@austral.UUCP (Russell Rezaian) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May8.192636.18830@asc.slb.com> ayers@asc.slb.com (Debbie Ayers) writes:

>    CPM file  to DOS file exchanger::
[stuff deleted]
A lot of this depends on what machines you have.  If your CP/M machine is a
Kaypro, Osborne, or one of a number of other machines, programs exist to
let the CP/M machine write and copy to nad from MS-DOS diskettes.  On the
Kaypro I have COMPAT by Mycroft labs, and it works fine.  You might still
be able to find copies.  I think UNIFORM also works.

	On the MS-DOS end there are also programs to read CP/M diskettes,
but I can't think of the name of one, offhand.  Even these programs will
only read certian formats though, so without knowing what kind of computer
you have I can't be of any futher help.  Good luck!  (You might end up
finding it simpler to put a serial port on the MS-DOS computer just for
this purpose, it may be cheaper, and simpler in the long run...)
--
Russell Rezaian			|  rrezaian@austral.UUCP
P.O. Box 479			|  rrezaian@amiganet.chi.il.us

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (05/12/91)

rrezaian@austral.UUCP (Russell Rezaian) writes:

> In article <1991May8.192636.18830@asc.slb.com> ayers@asc.slb.com (Debbie Ayer
> >
> >    CPM file  to DOS file exchanger::
> [stuff deleted]

[even more deleted]

>       On the MS-DOS end there are also programs to read CP/M diskettes,
> but I can't think of the name of one, offhand.

Try Uniform PC or 22DISK.  I suggest the latter because it's
easily avaiable, cheaper, and, unlike Uniform PC (DO correct me
if I'm wrong because I want to be able to do it), you can
configure it to read just about any format of diskette out there,
with certain obvious exceptions, of course, like hard-sectored
diskettes or non-MFM formats (YES, MFM is applicable in the
floppy diskette world for you DOS folks who are computer
neophytes) like Apple, but I hear of some cards that will read
THOSE.

> Even these programs will
> only read certian formats though, so without knowing what kind of computer
> you have I can't be of any futher help.

At least, those that were predefined.  Like I said, 22DISK can be
configured for just about any MFM-format disk.  I had to make an
entry to read diskettes formatted on my sister's computer. Sadly,
Uniform cannot handle that.

Re: Being "of further help"

I belive I just was...  :-)

> Good luck!

If you have an old Ozzy using SSSD drives, you'll need it!  And
you'll need a controller you can modify; the instructions
therefor are in the 22DISK docs.  If you're using Uniform PC, you
just SOL, unless MicroSolutions' CompatiCard can handle SD, and I
believe that 22DISK will handle that as well.

> (You might end up
> finding it simpler to put a serial port on the MS-DOS computer just for
> this purpose, it may be cheaper, and simpler in the long run...)

Yep, sometimes the format isn't properly interpreted by the PC or
laid down to spec by the original computer and said computer
don't give a $#!+ about the sectoring, just as long as the
intersector gaps are right and it knows how to find sector 0 and
dynamically change interleave.  I know my 8" drive does on my
Dynabyte because I try to feed "3740" formatted disks which I
format on it to my CompuPro, the data come in the wrong order; if
I format it on the CompuPro "3740", put it in the Dynabyte, write
some stuff on it, then read it on the C'Pro, it reads the sectors
in their proper order.

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) (05/20/91)

rrezaian@austral.UUCP (Russell Rezaian) writes:

> 	On the MS-DOS end there are also programs to read CP/M diskettes,
> but I can't think of the name of one, offhand.  Even these programs will
> only read certian formats though, so without knowing what kind of computer
> you have I can't be of any futher help.  Good luck!  (You might end up
> finding it simpler to put a serial port on the MS-DOS computer just for
> this purpose, it may be cheaper, and simpler in the long run...)
> --

There are a couple of good programs set for MSDOS machines which allow
them to read a >wide< variety of CP/M disk formats.  A pretty good
program is 22DISK from Sydex.  Their address is P.O. Box 5700, Eugene, OR
97405.  Their phones are (503) 683-6033 (voice), (503) 683-1622 (FAX) and
(503) 683-1385 (data).  22DISK consists of a set of programs which are
analogous to the copy, dir, format, type and erase functions in MSDOS except
that they see a floppy drive via a selected CP/M format.  The registered
version contains support for over 270 different CP/M formats plus the
ability to add custom formats if you know the disk setup parameters.  The
latter can be determined with another of Sydex's offerings called Anadisk
which analyzes the disk format on just about any disk except Apple and
Commodore disks, which do not use FM data encoding.  I use 22DISK and have
had good results with it.  It comes as shareware (the shareware version
doesn't support quite so many CP/M formats) and registration is reasonable
at $25.

The second option is UniForm -PC from Nicro Solutions - the same folks who
made the venerable UniForm for CP/M machines throughout the 80's.  Their
advirtising states that UniForm-PC supports "hundreds of different diskette
formats", which is probably true.  Micro Solutions is at 132 West Lincoln
Hwy, DeKalb, IL  60115.  Phones are (815) 756-3411 (voice) and
(815) 756-2928 (FAX).  UniForm-PC works essentially the same as the old
UniForm for CP/M, installing a device driver or TSR so that standard
DOS functions can be used to work on the target floppy, which is managed
in a CP/M format.  The price, I think, is somewhere between $60 and $80.

I have had good luck with 22DISK and found the the Sydex people to be
friendly and helpful.  I do have a friend, though, who distributes CP/M
disks professionally and, having tried both, prefers UniForm-PC for
rock solid reliability (the cost of redoing and remailing an overseas
shipment of disks can exceed the cost of either program!).  22DISK allows
access to all CP/M user areas on a floppy, while UniForm-PC accesses only
user 0.

"Everything works if you let it!"
 --- Travis J. Redfish
 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
uucp: austex!roadhog@emx.utexas.edu
 BBS: 512-259-1261 (Znode 77 - aka - Kaypro Club of Austin)

ianj@ijpc.UUCP (Ian Justman) (05/21/91)

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) writes:

> rrezaian@austral.UUCP (Russell Rezaian) writes:
>

> > 	On the MS-DOS end there are also programs to read CP/M diskettes,
> > but I can't think of the name of one, offhand.  Even these programs will
> > only read certian formats though, so without knowing what kind of computer
> > you have I can't be of any futher help.  Good luck!  (You might end up
> > finding it simpler to put a serial port on the MS-DOS computer just for
> > this purpose, it may be cheaper, and simpler in the long run...)
> > --
>
> There are a couple of good programs set for MSDOS machines which allow
> them to read a >wide< variety of CP/M disk formats.  A pretty good
> program is 22DISK from Sydex.  Their address is P.O. Box 5700, Eugene, OR
> 97405.  Their phones are (503) 683-6033 (voice), (503) 683-1622 (FAX) and
> (503) 683-1385 (data).  22DISK consists of a set of programs which are
> analogous to the copy, dir, format, type and erase functions in MSDOS except
> that they see a floppy drive via a selected CP/M format.  The registered
> version contains support for over 270 different CP/M formats plus the
> ability to add custom formats if you know the disk setup parameters.  The
> latter can be determined with another of Sydex's offerings called Anadisk
> which analyzes the disk format on just about any disk except Apple and
> Commodore disks, which do not use FM data encoding.  I use 22DISK and have
> had good results with it.  It comes as shareware (the shareware version
> doesn't support quite so many CP/M formats) and registration is reasonable
> at $25.
>
> The second option is UniForm -PC from Nicro Solutions - the same folks who
> made the venerable UniForm for CP/M machines throughout the 80's.  Their
> advirtising states that UniForm-PC supports "hundreds of different diskette
> formats", which is probably true.  Micro Solutions is at 132 West Lincoln
> Hwy, DeKalb, IL  60115.  Phones are (815) 756-3411 (voice) and
> (815) 756-2928 (FAX).  UniForm-PC works essentially the same as the old
> UniForm for CP/M, installing a device driver or TSR so that standard
> DOS functions can be used to work on the target floppy, which is managed
> in a CP/M format.  The price, I think, is somewhere between $60 and $80.
>
> I have had good luck with 22DISK and found the the Sydex people to be
> friendly and helpful.  I do have a friend, though, who distributes CP/M
> disks professionally and, having tried both, prefers UniForm-PC for
> rock solid reliability (the cost of redoing and remailing an overseas
> shipment of disks can exceed the cost of either program!).  22DISK allows
> access to all CP/M user areas on a floppy, while UniForm-PC accesses only
> user 0.
>

> "Everything works if you let it!"
>  --- Travis J. Redfish
>  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> uucp: austex!roadhog@emx.utexas.edu
>  BBS: 512-259-1261 (Znode 77 - aka - Kaypro Club of Austin)

Lindsay, you're fogrgetting one thing about 22DISK.  You can
configure it to just about any disk format, which is why Sydex
includes Anadisk.  You also forgot hard-sectored disks as one of
the types of disks that Anadisk doesn't know how to deal with.

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (05/22/91)

roadhog@austex (Lindsay Haisley) writes:
>The second option is UniForm -PC from Nicro Solutions - the same folks who
>made the venerable UniForm for CP/M machines throughout the 80's.  Their
>advirtising states that UniForm-PC supports "hundreds of different diskette
>formats", which is probably true.  Micro Solutions is at 132 West Lincoln

That is an accurate statement.  On my machine I can access over 300 formats in
5.25" both 48 & 96 tpi, and 8" sizes.  3" & 3.5" might add a few more.

                                                 - don

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com