[comp.os.cpm] Reply to question about fast terminal for Kaypro 2

Steve_Graham@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (06/20/91)

There is a fast terminal program available from simtel called FASTTERM
that might work at 19200.  It has NO features, as far as I know.  On MY
Kaypro II I can't get above 1200 baud without interrupts.  FASTTERM works
at 2400 (nothing else does) which is as high speed as I have been able to try.

wieland@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey J Wieland) (06/20/91)

In article <9151911@ub.cc.umich.edu> Steve_Graham@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>... FASTTERM works
>at 2400 (nothing else does) which is as high speed as I have been able to try.

I have tried it at 19,200 bps, attached to the contty port of one of
our AT&T 3B2's.  It worked fine, as did MITE.  I also tried out David
Goodenough's UUCP for CP/M at 9600 bps -- it also worked in fine in
both directions.  I may have tried it 19,200 bps; if I did it worked OK:
I'd remember if it didn't.  By the way, I have a Kaypro 2X, so it has the
slow video.  The '83 series II's and IV's are supposed to be able to run
at least 1200 baud without using interrupts for the serial port.

Does anyone know if Mycroft still exists?  They also used to sell COMPAT,
a sort of UNIFORM clone.  I still use MITE all the time.
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland@ecn.purdue.edu

donk@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM (Donald C. Kirkpatrick) (06/21/91)

In article <9151911@ub.cc.umich.edu> Steve_Graham@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>There is a fast terminal program available from simtel called FASTTERM
>that might work at 19200.  It has NO features, as far as I know.  On MY
>Kaypro II I can't get above 1200 baud without interrupts.  FASTTERM works
>at 2400 (nothing else does) which is as high speed as I have been able to try.

I have used MEX at 9600 baud quite successfully on my kaypro II. It
works just fine; it never retransmits a block so I knowcharacters are
not being missed. The machine on the other end is also a CP/M machine
running MEX. I may have a small advantage though; I have installed the
modification to run the Kaypro at 5 MHz. rather than the stock 2.5
MHz. I may also have an advantage in having a hard disk on the Kaypro,
but with the hand-shaking I don't think that should have any effect.
Both MEX and the Kaypro overlay are on Simtel-20.

--
	-Don Kirkpatrick (donk@amadeus.WR.TEK.COM)
		UUCP:	...!uunet!tektronix!amadeus.wr.tek.com!donk