[comp.sys.m6809] CoCo 3 and DOS

rsanders@watdcsu.UUCP (12/12/86)

In article <1982@tektools.UUCP> jonh@tektools.UUCP (Andy Davidson) writes:
>>Also, is there any problem using the Ver 1.1 Disk Basic Roms with
>>the new CoCo III?  I presume I won't have the DOS command, but I
>>could probably live without it.  Will Ver 1.2 (or whatever's newest)
>>plug into the ROM sockets, or do the new controllers use different
>>ROMs?

All of the Radio Shack controllers I have seen use 24 pin ROMS.
Some of the third party controllers use 24pin ROMs and some use
28 pin ROMs and a few use either or both.

>No problem.  From what I've collected, the III has it's own 2.0 (That's
>what's newest) Disk ROM inside, which apparently is activated if the

This is not quite correct, as far as I know the CoCo 3 uses the DOS
from the controller. It copies the ROM to RAM and uses it that way.
The CoCo 3 ROMS only know how to copy RSDOS (all versions). It patchs
the version number to 2.X.

>disk controller is present @ the cartridge port.  I certainly plan to
>have no problems. :-) Also, you certainly shall have your DOS command..

This will not be true if the version of DOS you have does not have the DOS
command.

>I've used it to reboot the demo disk at my local computer center.

Yes but the local computer center will have the latest version of RSDOS.
--
  Roger Sanderson

             clyde-\
            decvax-\\